Chapter 8: The Love Affairs of Younger People

Start from the beginning

Other shoppers seemed to be very lively, perhaps stopping by on their way home from work or to buy dinner.

It was a wonderful place that reminded him of the large, Christmas markets but without all of the decorations, yet the excitement remained the same.

Shun finished eating the sweet and sour apples and was still a bit hungry, so he went to a teppanyaki restaurant(5) that smelled strongly of charcoal-grilled food.

On a hot, black iron plate, sliced steak that was probably beef was being grilled. The thick, well-cooked meat was then brushed with a shiny, brown sauce by an older man that reminded him of Dian.

Everyone, including Shun, was mesmerized by the sweet and spicy smell of pepper floating in the air.

Shun desperately wanted to eat white rice.

Although it was a game with European motifs, it was still a game created by Japanese people.

Shun looked around the shops in the area to see if he could spot a similar grain.

No, not here either.

There were noodles that looked like pasta, but Shun's cravings could only be satisfied with a nice bowl of rice.

No, this one was different too...

"...what are you doing?"

Shun looked up at the familiar voice.

It was unexpected to see this person leaving a small, flower shop.

Evan, holding a small bouquet of white lilies in his right hand, looked at Shun suspiciously.

Shun panicked because he had been caught desperately looking for some rice, but for some reason, Evan also looked like he had been caught red-handed.

"Evan, you forgot your change!"

The door of the shop opened with the ring of a bell, and a small woman appeared in a floral dress with a warm cape over her shoulder. Judging from the apron tied around her waist, she must have been the shop's clerk.

She looked like she was in her early thirties, only a little older than Shun. Her long, glossy brown hair was tied back, and her long, lashes shadowed her eyes of the same color.

Her dignified features gave off the impression that she was an intelligent beauty.

"Keep it."

"I can't take money from kids."

The clerk gently took Evan by the hand with a worn hand and dropped some small copper coins into his.

Shun didn't miss the way Evan, who was always clamoring for a reaction, sealed his lips when the woman's hand touched his.

"And here's a bonus that I had waiting for you."

Smiling, the woman took some candy wrapped in brown oil paper from her pocket and made Evan hold it along with the copper coins.

"Don't treat me like a child."

His words were still sharp, but it was nothing like how he spoke when he was around Gin or Shun.

As Shun stared, the woman noticed him and asked if he was looking for something.

"Oh, sorry. I'm not a customer, but a friend of Evan's."

Shun didn't know how much she knew about Evan's job, so he made their relationship unclear at the last second. She seemed to wonder what kind of friend of Evan's he was but didn't particularly ask.