CH. 6 Christmas of the Magi

I have seen the word Magi used in more than one story. I think it is a natural to call witches and wizards Magi. This chapter goes all the way to the fall of 2010, and includes part of my "Tiny Tim, a Shaggy Kneazle Story", from Harry's point of view.

*

December 24, 2009 Harry and Ginny with their children Teddy Lupin, James, Albus, Lily and Ron and Hermione and Jean Grainger with Rose and Hugo went to a children's Christmas Eve church service. Ron almost never went to church with Hermione and Jean, but Christmas Eve was an exception. They arrived about fifteen minutes early, and went over to look at a rather large Crèche set with the baby Jesus, Mary, Joseph, shepherds and a variety of animals, and at a distance the three Wise Men. Albus looked at the scene and asked "Where are the elves?"

"I did think there were elves at Jesus's birth," Harry remembered. "I've seen paintings of elves at Jesus's birth."

"The elves have dolls like this, and there are elves there," Albus remembered. "And Magi came from the east. Dad, we're the Magi. The elves use the same word for the wise men and for witches and wizards. We're all Magi."

Jack Lewis, the priest that had been pastor of the church in London since Harry and Hermione had first started to go, was there and agreed. "Albus is right. Our church traces its roots back to a group of wizards, Magi, who visited Jesus within about a year of his birth. There was much confusion because Jesus did not become a powerful king, and there were no Magi at Calvary, but the Magi, the ones who visited Jesus, did become Christian within the first century after Jesus's death."

After the church service and putting the children down to bed Harry went up to the house elf area. Kreacher and Dobedo were there, still living right above the Potter house, although the area was bigger with both of them having children. There in the common space, what served as a living room, was a little Crèche set with, in addition to the usual creatures and people, several elves. Harry asked, "Are house elves Christians?"

"House elves not allowed to go to a church service unless with a master," Kreacher replied. "Not allowed to have different beliefs."

"How can masters dictate what you believe?" Harry wondered.

"Is part of being a house elf," Kreacher replied.

"But what if you do not believe what a master believes?" asked Harry. "What if they want you to do horrible things?"

"Is a problem" Kreacher confirmed. "Is also a problem having to make up own mind. Is a problem being responsible for own choices."

Kreacher looked at Harry. Harry was sitting on the floor in the house elf area, since the roof was too low for him to comfortable stand, and Kreacher and Dobedo were standing so their faces were at his level. Harriet was holding Dobedo's hand. Azalea was standing close to Kreacher, definitely in the background. There was concern on all their faces, and mixed emotions that Harry was having a hard time reading.

"You were at the birth of Jesus?" asked Harry.

"Not us!" Kreacher insisted. "Some house elves. A few."

"Were elves at Calvary?" asked Harry.

"A couple," Kreacher confirmed. "No Magi. Jesus the stonecutter* was a good and holy man. He knew house elves, could see us and talk to us. He was maybe not a Magi, but more than a Magi. We do not know."

"And some of you became believers?" Harry pushed.

"Laws that ruled house elves did not allow," Kreacher replied. "Worse than slaves. Slaves own, own mind. House elves has own mind but is not allowed, because of magic. Is a problem. Keeps own history, but is hard. Tries to stay true to law, obey master, but not do horrible things if master orders." Kreacher looked concerned, and there was a quick conversation in elfish between Kreacher and Harriet. "Law is not right word. Hard to say."