Chapter 5

You can't possibly sleep.

How could you?

Quinn Fabray is in your bed. For the second night in a row. She's in your bed, and she's letting you hold her, spoon her from behind, and she took you out on a date last night.

No.

Not just a date.

The perfect date.

And she was sweet and charming and... She held your hand and wrapped you in her Cheerios jacket and kissed you in the driveway. She gaped at you when you won her that ring at the shooting gallery; she twisted it and toyed with all night. You kissed her on the Ferris wheel; she sang to you beneath the stars.

She pleaded with you not to break her heart.

It was perfect.

And still...

You try to shake it off, but you just can't. Here, in the quiet of your bedroom, last night a perfect memory, you wonder if that's all it was. If that's all it can be.

It's only been one weekend, one perfect weekend with Quinn Fabray, and maybe that's all you get. Maybe that's all she can give you.

Sure, you'll have tomorrow, if you can convince her to stay, but you know that this is the last night she'll be here. In your arms.

And Monday at school? Well, there's just no telling. You seriously doubt she'll be mean to you; she hasn't been in over a year, but you also doubt that she'll acknowledge you much at all. This is Quinn Fabray, and she's been perfect when it's just the two of you, but you honestly have no reason to believe that things won't just go back to normal once you're at school.

You can feel your own heart racing, can feel the tears coming.

You're going to lose her, and you never even had her.

It's a Sunday, and it isn't even light outside yet. So, naturally, I'm beyond annoyed that something is waking me up.

When I realize what is waking me up, my irritation evaporates into a soft moan.

It's Rachel.

More specifically, Rachel's mouth on my neck.

The moment it registers that she's kissing the skin just below my hairline, my eyes flutter, and I'm lost. Her arms are securely around my waist, holding me against her. I can feel her breathing against my back, deep and steady. Heavy.

I let last night wash over me. Watching her in the moonlight, tucking her hair behind her ear. Her words on the Ferris wheel and what they did to me. Dancing in the grass.

It was perfect. She was perfect.

And now I'm in her bed, wrapped in her arms. This can't be happening, what she's making me feel. How fast she's making me fall for her.

I've cared about her for so long now, but treating her horribly and then admiring her from a distance is a far cry from being cradled in her arms in the middle of the night.

She's too soft; it's too real.

What if I mess this up? I can't hurt her; she's been hurt so many times. God, what if she hurts me?

I'm in danger of losing myself, and it scares me. It also makes me feel like I can fly.

She presses another hot kiss to my neck, soft and slow, no hurry. It's all we did last night, this languid kissing, but then she let me lead. Now, I'm in her control and the way she's kissing me, moving her body against mine... I still can't believe that she wants me like this.