Epilogue

I'm sitting alone at a table, drinking what's left of my coffee, and I check my watch. I huff in annoyance when I look at the time: it's been over an hour. Bored out of my mind and with nothing to do, I look around, and as I'm looking out the window I spy the tower where the SPK headquarters once was. It's doubtful that Near—that L—set up there after everything ended with Kira. I suppose it's possible that he's still in New York, though. He can be surprisingly sentimental. At least, from what I remember. The last time I saw him was in 2010, five years ago. That was also the last time I saw Allison, though I occasionally receive letters from her.

Once, when I was responding to one of her letters, I asked her why she bothered writing to me if I couldn't see her, if she wouldn't even tell me where she was or what was happening. She had written back promising that we'll meet again someday and that this is for the best. She told me that the reason she keeps writing is because of the promise she made all those years ago. Remember, the one I told you about, right after my first encounter with Lacey? Allison had promised me that we would be best friends forever. I can't help but let out a dry laugh as I picture the last time I saw her. The smile and wave. Watching her depart, her red hair whipping back and forth as she ran for her motorcycle in a hurry. She had thought she was going to come back.

"Piper!"

I turn to where I heard the voice. "Where have you guys been? We were supposed to meet up here an hour ago."

The youngest of the three blows a strand of hair out of her face. She's absent-mindedly twirling a ringlet of her long, curly black hair that she wears in pigtails, using her other hand to hug her sketchbook to her chest. "We got lost."

Lacey groans, pulls out a chair, and sits down. She grabs my coffee and is disappointed to find that it's nearly empty. She glares at the sketchbook, as if it's the one at fault. "Lost my arse, Harrowing! You kept making us stop so you could draw every other blooming building and statue you seen!"

Harrowing just shrugs. She sets her sketchbook down on the table and continuing to twirl her hair, heads over to the counter to place an order.

With a laugh, the last of my friends takes a seat in between Lacey and me. "I swear, she was doing it just to spite you, seeing how you were rushing us."

"I told you, Joy, I came to New York back in 2009, and I promised meself that I'd never step foot in this toilet again if it was the last thing I did!"

She gets a couple of glares from some locals.

"Yet here you are." Joy smirks.

"For Story; this ain't for no pleasure of me own."

"Think positively, Lacey," Joy assures her. "While we're here, we can pick up something pretty for you to wear to your wedding. Or do you still plan on wearing that tablecloth you bought? You seem rather fond of that jarg."

"At least I'm getting married," Lacey quips. "You and your boyfriend has been together how many years now? I don't see no ring on your finger. It's 2015, and you ain't getting any younger, Joy." She taps her watch and smirks.

"Sack it," Joy says as Harrowing returns with her drink and takes a seat, silently observing the argument. "He's not my boyfriend, and you do not want to go down that road."

"You really thinks I'm afraid to kick it off?" Lacey says, raising an eyebrow. "I can have you done over in a minute, yeah."

Joy shrugs. "Yes, but I cheat."

"How about we change the subject?" I suggest. "We were going to go see the sights, but it looks like we've got to head to Story's book signing soon. And we have to remember to pick up a souvenir for Birdie like we promised."