Catching Up

A/N: Closest to how I imagine Patience. Pale with black hair and brown eyes, on the short side. Art by Takeshi Obata, the artist of Death Note.

========================================================

Patience

"Patience," said Lidner, "we're going to start in five minutes."

"Okay, thanks," I said. I pulled my cell phone back up to my face and continued with my conversation.

"So are you sure that everything is alright?" May asked.

I sighed. "May, I've been here for years. I'm an adult. I can take care of myself."

"Yes, I am well aware," she said. "I just have a tendency to become nervous."

"I'll be fine," I assured her. "It's been over a year, and the only one you should be worrying about is Allison. For all we know, she's already burned down her apartment complex... twice."

"Oh goodness, don't remind me," May said.

"So," I said, "what about you? Are you going to be okay?"

At first, there was silence, as if she wasn't quite sure as to what I was referring. "Oh," she said, grasping what I meant, "don't worry, love, I'll be fine. The odds he'll find me are slim to none."

"But May," I said, "we know Kira's in Japan. Did you have to move there?"

"Aye, I did," she said, defending herself. "I had to for my job. Anyroad, even if Kira did find me, what reason would he have to kill me?"

"Yeah, I guess you're right," I admitted.

"Well then," May said, wanting to get back to what we had been talking about before we were so worried with each other's safety, "what about summer?"

"Summer?" I echoed. "I don't know about that. Maybe spring, since summer's too hot. I don't want to have to listen to Allison and Birdie complaining while Joy tells them to shut up for hours."

"I suppose that's true," May said with a laugh.

"Though overall, it's up to you, of course," I reminded her. "Stop asking for others' approval. As Allison would say, do something for yourself for once in your life."

"Aye, she would say that, wouldn't she?" May said with a laugh. "Oh, I'm pulling up now, I have to go. Soz."

"It's fine," I assured her, looking at my watch. "I have to get going, too. Bye."

"Tara, love. Be sure to give me a ring sometime soon," she said before hanging up the phone.

May

May pulled her car over into a crowded parking lot. She hopped out and rushed over to a man dressed much more casually than her. "I'm sorry I'm late, Nakamura-san," she apologized, her Japanese perfectly fluent.

"Thank goodness," he said, "I was starting to get worried."

Luckily for May, she and Nakamura were friends outside of work, so he was somewhat more lenient with her. Nakamura turned his head and noticed another man among the crowd of people scurrying around them.

"Hey, Kinjo-kun!" he shouted.

The man, Kinjo, heard his name being called and walked over towards them. "What do you need?" he asked.

"Get the talent over here," he ordered. "I need to see her before we start, to make sure she's alright."

Kinjo nodded and ran off to find the person in question.