𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞 : 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

Fingers crossed.

The Japanese teen sat prettily in front of a luminous mirror, lightbulbs the size of her palm decorated the frame. It made Magnolia's skin whiter and the makeup that painted her eyes seem rosier, as if it truly was a part of her oh-so-natural look. She smiled at herself, one nervous and overwhelmed rather than her usual laid back grins. The butterflies that settled in her stomach remained, mere minutes away from curtain call.

Magnolia pulled a powder compact from her purse, spilling the contents of her bag all over the desk with several makeup brands decorating the lids of the colourful containers. Popping it open, the Asian girl powdered her nose, her thumb lightly brushing over her frostbitten, rosy cheeks, feeling the cool skin underneath her numb finger.

Shakily, Magnolia reached for her lip gloss and touched up her lips, her glittery Sugar Plum Fairy costume scratching against the material of her plush, beige turtleneck. She leaned closer to the mirror, examining herself further for anymore flaws or anything needing a minor touch up. She wanted everything to be absolutely perfect for tonight.

"Mag-coroni!" A voice boomed, drawing attention from all the other dancers behind the curtain, but Magnolia didn't care, watching the man walk closer to her to embrace her in the corner of her eye. A massive grin was painted on his face, a glimmer of pride in his eyes as he wrapped his arms around the petite girl. The nickname he had given her at at prime age of three bringing a small smile tugging at her lips. "There's my little sugar plum."

The man that had embraced her wore a suit, obviously not caring too much for the winter chills that pierced through the thin material of the black coat jacket, and a flimsy scarf adorning his neck over a loose black tie. The man was tall, laugh lines found at the corner of his eyes and side of his mouth, buried underneath his stubble.

"I thought we were over, 'mag-coroni'." Magnolia groaned, playfully pouting at the childish nickname that seemed to loom over her. Both of her parents seemed to agree on the nickname ever since they had adopted Magnolia, watching her sleep peacefully, shaping her body like a boiled noodle.

"You were over it, I'm not." Her dad reminded her, giving her one last squeeze to allow his daughter to pull off the turtleneck to reveal the sparkly corset-like bodice of her Sugar Plum Fairy Costume. A fond smile found its way onto his lips, regarding his daughter with a look of admiration. "Look at you, you're all grown up."

Both himself and his husband, Anthony Fernandez, had balled their eyes out earlier in the morning, realizing that their darling daughter would finally have her big moment in the spotlight. If any tears were to come from his eyes at this very moment, he wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised.

Taking a few bobby pins from her stand, Mason Doran ushered his daughter to face the mirror, helping her put up her hair. Magnolia had always admired times like this, moments simpler than the quick-pace she grown accustomed to. This part of her routine hoped that never changed as soon as she--hopes--to get into Juilliard. Knowing how the Asian girl liked keeping her hair loose, Mason stuck in the bobby pins in hopes to make her dark hair more tamed.

"It's all cause of you and pops." Magnolia credited, beaming at him through the mirror, catching the soft smile he tried to hide behind her bird nest. "You did raise me pretty well."

As if on cue, her papa came backstage, a small bouquet of pale pink roses at hand. He, too, had a massive grin on his face as his eyes landed on the Japanese girl in front of a mirror, watching his husband tend to his daughter's loose bun.

✔️𝐦 𝐚 𝐠 𝐧 𝐨 𝐥 𝐢 𝐚 - ||𝐥𝐮𝐤𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧||जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें