*

What had happened between Agnes and Wolesley two minutes prior was the last thing on Wolesleys' mind as he stood from his crouching position.
People screamed; at what, though, he didn't want to know.
"Agnes!", Wolesley borderline threw the oak desk from his path as he approached the bookshelf.
Loose pieces of parchment seemed to be everywhere, his head was swimming with worry.
"Agnes!", he urged again, throwing the bookshelf from her body and crouching next to her.
She lay in a pool of blood, her neck contorted in such a way that it was obvious she was dead.
He placed his two fingers on her neck - there was no pulse.
Shaking his head, he stood and climbed over the debris scattered throughout the small office.
Exiting the door, the corridor was a mess.
Ceiling tiles had fallen to the linoleum - dust blanketed the floor.

The dining hall was in no better condition - "Grayson!", Wolesley spotted his friend aiding Elvira and a gaggle of grannies to their feet.
"Wolesley!", Grayson abandoned them and bolted across the dining room to hug Wolesley.
"Big one, huh?", Wolesley asked.
"Yeah - we need to head out to Little Motueka and the Citadel and tell everyone to go to higher ground", Grayson shook his head, "Agnes?".
Wolesley shook his head.
Grayson knew exactly what he meant; however, Wolesley noted a look of suspicion creeping across his best friends' face.
"What?", Wolesley asked harshly.
"Well... How?".
"You think I fucking killed her?", Wolesley scrunched his nose.
"No, I didn't say that".
"You don't have to".
"I just asked how".
"She got killed by the fucking bookshelf I offered to fix for her", Wolesley shook his head, "you know me, for crying out loud".
"I thought I did until you staved a guys head in".
"You've killed people, too".
"I've killed criminals and invaders, not once did I consider killing a guy in a pub for saying something I didn't like", Grayson replied aggressively.
"Whatever, Grayson, just get your ass out to Little Motueka and get 'em out to the Fourth House", Wolesley trudged back out of the dining hall, far angrier than he was entering it.

Ruataupare, Rena, Magnus, Thatcher, Arihona, and Ratapu were still within eyeshot of the mount.
"I told you", Ruataupare repeated.
"You've said it thrice", Thatcher shook her head, walking between Rena and Ratapu.
"You put us all in danger, Thatcher, again", Ruataupare continued.
"I agreed with her, remember?", Rena pointed out.
"Yeah, and I'll deal with you later", Ruataupare growled.
"We've got eight hours to walk, do you'se really wanna spend it arguing?", Ratapu asked.
"You know what? I do", Ruataupare stopped, causing the group to grind to a halt.
"Yeah actually, same", Thatcher rounded on Ruataupare.
"We've done this a handful of times, now, it's getting old", Magnus interjected.
"I agree, but nothing ever changes, does it?", Thatcher stared at Ruataupare in her eyes.
"Nah, it doesn't, because no matter what, Thatcher", Ruataupare gulped, "you think you're a law unto yourself".
"Maybe, Ruataupare, if you'd achieved half of what I'd achieved, you'd have the same attitude", Thatcher fired across.
"Really? Is that right? Because the worlds been so peachy since you showed up on my doorstep looking for help", Ruataupares' voice dripped with sarcasm. "Sincerely, though", Ruataupare pressed on, "the best thing to come outta you, was her", she pointed at Magnus.
"Don't drag me into this", Magnus pleaded.
"You like to pick and choose, don't you?", Thatcher stepped forward, "Because to you, you want the good and not the bad - as if they don't go hand-in-hand".
"They don't, they never did until you came along!", Ruataupare spat to the ground.
"OI!", Arihona shouted, "As much as I love listening to you two bitch and squabble, can we haul ass?".
"No!", both Thatcher and Ruataupare yelled in unison.
"I wanna work this shit out! I'm tired of this, Ruataupare. I just want things back but it's clear that you still fucking resent me", Thatchers' voice cracked.
"Yeah", Ruataupare toned down her voice, "I do".
"Why?", Thatcher stepped closer, almost pleadingly.
"Because, I thought I knew you", Ruataupare swallowed, "but I don't".
"I want, so badly, for you to give me your approval", Thatcher pleaded.
"I can't", Ruataupare shrugged, "and I want to, but I can't".
The tension between them seemed to dissipate.
"Well...", Thatcher coughed, shuffling her feet in the ash.
"We ready to go then?", Ratapu urged them.
"I don't know", Thatcher cocked her head and looked to Ruataupare, "are we?".
"I s'pose we are", Ruataupare shrugged.
"I think it's time to shake it out", Rena suggested.
"Maybe so", Ruataupare agreed, holding out her hand.
Thatcher took it and clutched, "can we move on?".
"Yeah, I'll try harder", Ruataupare shook tightly, before dropping Thatchers' hand.
"Me too".
"Alright then", Arihona began walking forward.
"Is that it? Because, you know, arguing, making up, arguing making up; this dynamic could continue forever", Magnus asked the two, Arihona stopped in his tracks.
"Yeah, that's it", Ruataupare nodded, "I'll make more of an effort to understand your perspective".
Thatcher had nothing more to say, she watched as Ruataupare began following Arihona.
For a moment, a weight lifted from her shoulders, until she was brought back to earth by the smell of sulfur, smoke, and the strong smell of molten rock.