15: What is going on?

Start from the beginning

"Let me guess, it had something to do with flirting of some sort."

I nodded. "Something like that. Because of this... challenge, we- he kissed me. And I actually kissed him back. It wasn't supposed to happen, and I don't think it means anything, but I'm kind of freaking out."

Bridget slowly nodded. "I see. So you don't want that, but your subconscious apparently does."

I shook my head a little. "I don't know, Bridget. I'm all sorts of confused. At first I hated his guts, and then that evolved into a sort of friendly rivalry between us. We've teased each other, challenged each other, but... I just don't know how to feel about him."

Bridget shrugged. "This sounds like a crush to me, Rylee. I mean, you've known him a month now, it sounds like you're having fun with him. Don't worry about it, okay? You can handle a crush, right?"

My eyes widened. "A crush? On him? No way."

"Whatever you say." Bridget got up. "Your instincts are usually right, so if you naturally kissed him without really thinking, it means something." With that, she left the room.

I sat back, blinking a few times. I did kiss him without a thought. Was Bridget right? Did it mean something? Did I... have a crush on Kason Brooks? My heart jumped, answering for me. Yes.

Well, that wasn't good.

* * *

"Rylee. Hey!" Anne was suddenly waving her hand in my face.

I zoned back into reality. "Huh? What? Oh, yes Anne?"

"Girl, you have been so out of it the past two days. What's going on in that head of yours?"

I shrugged. "Nothing. Just tired and stuff, that's all." I had pretty much checked out of reality. I was in a weird grey state. I didn't have energy and I didn't care to. I wasn't sure what was wrong with me, but I was fine with floating through life for a few days. It was sort of relaxing.

Anne raised an eyebrow. "Do you have something you want to tell me? Are you okay."

I laughed a little. "I'm fine, Anne. I'm just having a chill week, okay? Now you were telling me something, what was it?"

"Right. Well, it's Halloween in two days, and I'm hosting a giant party. There will be costumes, a haunted house, alcohol, dancing, all the good stuff. Want to come?"

I wasn't much for haunted houses. But dancing and alcohol... yes. I'd only really gotten drunk once before. But with my state right now, it would be a nice break. "I will come if it means I can get drunk and leave."

Anne laughed. "Sure. Why, is there something you want to forget?"

"Yup. It'll be a nice distraction." My mind hadn't left Kason since the motel, and I was over it. I had a stupid crush on him while it was absolutely nothing to him. That kiss was only part of the game.

"Okay, great. It starts at eight, ends when the sun comes up."

I nodded. "I'll drop in long enough for some drinks. That's The only reason I'm going."

Anne laughed. "I'll see you then. Don't be too spacy for the rest of the day."

"I'll try not to be." I lied. I didn't want to think about much, and I wasn't going to. Just for today. And maybe tomorrow.

And I did just that. I remained like a zombie pretty much all day. And it was actually stress free. Everyone needed to try being a zombie for a day.

But as I was walking home, I was pulled back to reality. I was passing the buildings that were cluttered behind the school when I saw figures standing in the shadows at the far end talking. No one had a reason to be there. So I hid behind the building and peeked around to listen in.