parents

quick authors note: in the process of re-writing.

"Wait, no, no why would you open that door? You never open the door!" I yell at the television as though I can change the plot of the horror movie I'm engrossed in.

My frustration is suddenly cut off by the sound of my parent's car pulling into the driveway.

"No no no, you're early! Come on man, there's still twenty minutes left in my movie!" I sigh at the window as I watch my parents get out of the car and head towards the door. Quickly, I switch the channel. See, I'm not really supposed to watch horror movies. The problem is, I really like horror movies, and I don't see the harm in watching them. It's one of the many things my parents and I disagree on. So, of course, I keep watching horror movies and my parents keep telling me I've made the right choice to stop watching them, because obviously they don't know that I am, in fact, still watching them. Hence the channel changing. When my parents walk in to the living room, I'm sitting on the couch, legs crossed, watching "How It's Made: Paper". Not sketchy at all, right?

"Hey guys, how was your dinner?" My voice sounds calm and in control. Good.

"It was good.. what are you watching?" I hear the skepticism in my mom's voice as she focuses her attention on the tv.

"Um, I um, I just, this show is just really relaxing, you know? And I think it's really cool to, um, learn about?" I can hear my voice raise at the end, as if I'm asking my parents if they're buying this.

"Well, I'm gonna go to bed now, goodnight!" And with that, I quickly head up the old wooden stairs to my drab bedroom, excusing myself from more questions.

Once in bed, I try to push the thought evil dolls from my mind. Instead, I find myself focusing on them more. Aren't there old china dolls that used to be my mom's in the closet? There totally are. What if they come to life? They're definitely not gonna come to life. Stop being paranoid. It was just a movie, just a movie, just a movie.... I repeat this to myself until sleep finally pulls me under.