joker

My eyes wearily blink open as angry shouting fills my ears. The cold from the pavement I'm laying on seeps though my clothes and covers me in chills. Feeling confused and scattered, I pull myself up into a sitting position on the chilling ground and try to get a look around me. The first thing I see is fire; it's everywhere. Burning on cars, setting trash aglow with its orange red flames, sending thick gray smoke into the dusty air. People crowd the streets, shouting and cheering and crowding around a smashed police car. My mind is buzzing with thoughts from wondering where I am, to questioning how I got here. Then it dawns on me. I'm obviously in a dream! The last thing I remember before waking up here is laying down in my bed to get some sleep. So I guess I achieved that.

I think they call this "lucid dreaming", when you're asleep but you realize it. I've heard you can even control your own dreams when you're in this state. Well, I've got at least 8 hours to kill, so might as well give it a shot. Carefully, to avoid bumping into the people around me, I stand up and get a better view of where I am. The person standing on top of the cop car answers my question instantly. And how could it not? The iconic green greasy hair paired with a red tux over a mustard yellow vest distinguishes him from any other comic villain.

I'm in Joker. Makes sense considering I just saw this movie 2 days ago. I told my parents I was going to see Frozen II, and though they seemed skeptical, they let me go. That movie definitely stuck in my mind, so I'm not surprised to see it show up in my dreams. Well, I've always wanted to visit Gotham anyways. 

I am pulled out of my thoughts by someone's shoulder crashing into my side. I stumble to the side, falling onto a tall guy dressed in all black who, by the looks of it, could probably crush me under his foot with ease. Shouting nonsense, he shoves me off of him, and I crash onto the pavement, throwing my hands out to catch myself. As I land on my open palms, I can feel the pain rush up and down my wrists. Picking little pieces of pavement out of my skin, a stinging feeling begins to develop in my hands as blood drips from a few cuts where the pavement ripped away my skin. I thought you couldn't feel pain in dreams? I must just be imagining the pain. Either that or I was somehow magically transported to Gotham city. Hmmmm, I wonder which option is more logical. 

People's feet rush by my head, scarcely missing my body. I pull myself up for a second time. This isn't exactly the best dream I've ever had, but it's better than a nightmare I guess. Maybe I can get something exciting happening. Instead of standing still and fighting the crowd, I let them guide me towards the wrecked cop car. I've always thought the joker would be an interesting guy to talk to, and it's not like he can hurt me in a dream, right? We grow nearer to the dancing figure clothed in red, and for some reason I feel my pace quicken. Something in the back of my head tells me this is not safe. I am in danger. I push the thoughts away the best I can, the idea of being in a dream acting as a security blanket to calm my nervous thoughts. Still, it's chewing on my brain, forcing it's way into my ears and I hear it so clearly that I look around to see if someone whispered it in my ear.

"You're not safe here. Leave now.".

These words bring more chills through me than the cold, hard ground I woke up on. But it's too late now; I'm so close to him that if I were to reach out, I think I would be able to grab his leg. I try to back away as my breathing grows shallow and short. Everything in me is telling me to run but I am trapped by the mass of people, riots, cheering on the dancing murderer. Then the noises start. Gunshots. First one, causing a large percentage of the rioters to duck, screaming and covering their heads. I duck as well, knowing very well that won't save me from a bullet. More gunshots fill the air, painfully loud and getting louder with each one. They're growing closer and closer. Panic build up in me as the warning repeating in my head grows louder. This dream isn't adventurous and exciting anymore. I want to wake up now. I try to focus on this one thought, this thought of waking up, hoping that will pull me out of this dark world. I close my eyes tightly, whispering the words to myself with my hands over my ears. I want to wake up now. I want to wake up now. I feel the words get louder in my mind, my voice following suit.

"I want to wake up now!". The volume of my voice surprises even me. And after it, silence. Slowly, I open my eyes and pull my hands from the sides of my head. I'm home. I'm in my bed, wrapped up in covers like I never left. And I guess I never really did. 

"Honey? Are you okay?". My mom's voice calls from her room. I must have yelled it out loud the last time. Her footsteps get closer to my room and with every step, the thoughts begin to come into my mind again, whispers so clear I could swear there's someone beside me in this empty bed. The warning repeats, as if on a steady loop;

"You're not safe here.".