chapter one

Leaves crunch underneath dirty converse as the teen walks along the sidewalk. Their hands jammed into their pockets to try and hide from the chilly wind. Johnny might have been used to the cold, but it didn't make it any less annoying.

He was on his way to the drive in to meet up with Dallas and Ponyboy. They usually met up beforehand but it seemed that everyone was having a hard time getting there. Dallas and Tim had an argument, so did Darry and Ponyboy, and the Johnny simply had a run in with his folks.

So, as he finally made it to the drive in, he wiggles himself under the chain-linked fence. The ravenette stands up and brushes off his already dirty blue jeans, making his way to the seats and cars.

First order was trying to find his friends so he knew that they actually showed up. If he couldn't find them, he was going to leave. The teen didn't trust walking around by himself anymore. It was a danger. And at this point, he was just a liability.

His dark brown eyes scan around the filled up lot. It was hard to see because it was dark. But it couldn't be that hard to miss a couple of Greasers walking around. Just their appearance alone was enough to cause a scene.

And Dallas Winston always caused a scene.

So, it shouldn't be too awful hard to find his friends.

He wanders around a little more, not wanting to skim through all of the rows. It was rude to step in front of people trying to watch a movie. Out of the whole gang, he was probably the most polite.

The rest of them were a bunch of rascals.

Even got them thrown out of church once.

The brown-eyed boy was about ready to turn tail and leave before catching sight of a tall blonde and a shorter redhead next to them. It was his friends. They were standing in line at the snack booth.

He chews at his lower lip, scurrying over to them, cutting some people in line just to stand next to them. The teen was quiet about it though, not wanting to cause a fuss. It wasn't like he had the money to order anything for himself.

Some Socs did make a few snide comments. But it wasn't like Johnny to actually listen to them. It was frightening though, worried that it would be like last time.

The blonde was first to take notice, feeling the smaller teen bump into his arm. His eyes wander down and he just gives a small smirk to the ravenette, throwing an arm around his shoulder.

"Man, Johnnycake, took you long enough to show," Dallas says. "Figured you weren't going to show."

Johnny just smiles sheepishly in response.

"Wouldn't miss it," he replies simply. "Double feature night."

Ponyboy turns and smiles at the sight of Johnny. It was nice to see that he had gotten around to coming. Although, he knew it was hard to escape his parents sometimes. He tried not to bring it up.

"Want a Coke, Johnny?" The redhead asks him. "Think I got enough cash on me to buy you one."

Johnny shakes his head. He couldn't impose on him like that. It wasn't his money. Although, one did sound nice. He only ever got them when Ponyboy or Dallas got him one. Or maybe if someone managed to snag one from the gas station.

"No thanks, man."

Dallas keeps his arm slung around the dark-skinned teen. He knew Johnny like the back of his hand. It wasn't that hard to read him if you actually tried. And he figured the redhead in front of them thought the same.

As their turn came up, Ponyboy was first to go up and order. He was ordering for himself, and the same went for Dallas.

"Coke and a small popcorn, please," Ponyboy says, handing over the money, already knowing how much it was.

The worker was quick to take the cash and stick it in the register, getting what the redhead had asked for. She hands over the Coke and popcorn, giving the redhead a small wink.

They seemed around the same age.

Ponyboy paid her no mind and got his things, stepping out of line to wait beside the stand for the two of his friends to come out. He was glad that they actually wanted to come. The redhead was told not to go by himself anymore after what happened to Johnny.

Next up was Dallas and Johnny. Although, the ravenette knew that he wasn't going to get anything. It seemed the tall blonde thought otherwise though.

"Two Cokes and two small popcorns, doll," Dallas says simply, not even batting an eye at the nickname he had given her.

Flirting usually got him places with girls. So, cheap food and drinks was always a good plus. The blonde goes for his wallet before hearing the girl at the counter.

"Its on the house," she replies, her cheeks burning bright red. Obviously she was glad he had paid her more mind than the redhead before. "Don't worry about it."

Dallas smirks and he stuffs his wallet back into his back pocket where he was keeping it. Johnny just looks up at the blonde, scrunches up his nose a bit.

"Dal, I said I didn't want anything," Johnny says quietly.

Dallas simply shakes his head, handing the ravenette his popcorn and Coke. The blonde takes his own and ushers the two of them out of line.

Johnny was used to things like this happening. He would refuse some type of service or item when offered but it was given to him anyway. Sure, it was nice, but he felt bad.

At least Dallas didn't have to waste any money either.

Once all back together, the trio make their way to empty seats, sitting back and watching the movie on screen. The dark-skinned teen sips at his Coke and quietly eats his popcorn.

He wanted to say thank you to the blonde but it wouldn't have been taken. Dallas would insist that he wasn't nice, and that he shouldn't worry about it.

Its how it always worked.

That's just how Dallas Winston was.