When I'm gone - Part 1

A/N: Welcome to part two! :D Have fun reading, voting, commenting... :) Idon't know how often I'll be able to upload because of school commitments e.t.c. So y'all will just have to be patient! Hope you like this, if you do, tell me! xxxxx

“Huh? What?”  Cam; my best friend was staring at me with a dumfounded expression on his face. Something told me he’d asked me a question when I’d been zoning.

“Did you even hear what I was saying?” He said, raising his eyebrows.

“Zoning” I explained. “Care to fill me in?” He sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Do you want to go to the park after school?” His brown eyes suddenly got very big and shiny, I knew that look.

“Oh, come on! Don’t do that, you know I’ll come” He grinned with the big, clumsy, lopsided smile that I loved before throwing his arms around my neck.

 The bell rang signalling the end of the day and I dragged him out of the door and down the hall to my locker. He waited patiently while I put away my books and called my mom to tell her where I was. When I closed my locker standing behind the door, with a slightly crazed grin, was a tiny girl with flaming red hair, as I looked up at her she promptly knocked the books I was carrying out of my hand. “Oops.” She said innocently before opening up the locker next to mine. I glared at her as Cam bent down to pick up my books.

“Thanks.” I said as he handed them to me.

“Don’t mention it.” He grumbled watching her shiny red stilettos stalk down the hallway. “Why do you just let her walk all over you like that?” He asked.

“If you haven’t noticed, Callie kinda walks all over everyone.” I hugged the books to my chest hoping Cam wouldn’t notice the half-truth I’d just told him. She did walk all over everyone but nobody knew about the particularly cruel bullying that had being going on for almost two years now.

As we made our way to the park, I was talking to Cam as usual, but something was different, something in his eyes, he was looking at me...differently, not anything wrong, just differently. I laughed at the jokes he made, but I knew the happiness was just a mask; inside I knew the dark cloud looming over my head was growing larger as the day was drawing to a close. This was my last day and it was going by far too quickly...

The park gates were dark, looming gothic structures made from rusting iron that must have been a couple of centuries old. I didn’t like them; they reminded me of a horror movie I’d seen once. I shuddered as we made our way to our favourite bench. It was tucked away out of sight, surrounded by a cluster of cherry trees. I would miss this park, I sighed. As part of our usual routine Cam sat on the bench and I sat cross-legged on the grass and leaned my head against his knee, he ran his finger through my hair and started tying knots in it as usual.

“Hi! Oh my god, Cameron! What are you doing here?” Rachel. Captain of the cheerleading squad, most popular girl in school and Callie’s cohort “-so, anyway a friend of mine is throwing this amazing party tonight. You should totally come along; it would be great to see you there. But you’re not invited Hannah” Rachel said, clapping her perfectly manicured hands in exactly the way I’d mimicked before. Cam stood up and walked in front of me protectively. “Down boy!” She giggled before turning back.  As she was walking away, she looked back over her shoulder “Freak show.” She glared at me. Cam glared after her with a fury I had never seen in him before.

“I really, really hate that girl” He spoke through his teeth, his fists were clenched so tight his knuckles looked as if they were about to burst, when I looked in his eyes I knew he was serious; they were swimming with hatred. I put my hand over his clenched fists.