CHAPTER 20 - PLANS

Start from the beginning

It was his mistake, Ajax accepted humbly. But he had learnt his lesson and now, he would plan everything to the T before attacking Ash.

Ajax knelt on the ground and lowered his head, accepting his defeat. "Please accept my apologies Sire," he said sincerely and the king watched him from beneath his lashes. "I sincerely regret not listening to your advice and hereby swear that I will do as you say."

"Stand up Ajax" the king commanded and nodding, Ajax got back to his feet. He raised his chin and met the cat green eyes of the king. "I forgive you because I believe you have learnt a valuable lesson from your mistake."

Ajax gave a firm nod.

When he had attacked Ash's island today morning, he had not been outnumbered, he had been outsmarted and he had appreciated that bitter truth a little too late. He paid for his mistakes by losing some of the best fighters from his pack.

Ash was not some petty criminal. Ash was powerful and had built up a network all over the kingdom. He had eyes everywhere and Ajax realized that he had severely underestimated his enemy, which was what led to his fall today.

"To defeat the enemies far more powerful than us, we have to trust each other" the king proclaimed.

"I understand, Sire," Ajax said quietly.

"You might have realized by now that Ash has ears all over the kingdom. The only way he was able to get this far was because he was always aware of our moves. Initially, I had thought he had placed some bug inside the palace walls and had the place searched. Later, I figured out that someone amongst us was a traitor and now I know who it is."

"Who?" Ajax probed.

"I knew Johnny is a fame-hungry criminal who has no originality. He committed crimes taking Ash's name several times and that Ash would never work with a fool like him! However, what shook me was the fact that Ash had come into the factory that day. Like me, Ash too must have known that Johnny took his name. He had never cared about it before but why step into the factory that day? If it had been Saint, he would have kidnapped Saint. If it had been for Xan, he would have killed him. No. It had been for Alex" King stated and curling his fingers to form a fist, Ajax growled as he pictured his brother getting tortured and maimed by Ash.

"He had been there for Alex and he did take Alex with him. But the question was who had informed him to be there? How did he know where Alex would be?" King paused and looked at Ajax, who was openly frowning.

"It could have been anyone. It could have been Alex's men or Xanthos or Gideon" Ajax shrugged.

"It could have been Xanthos, but it isn't Xanthos because he was knocked out. Karl had found him lying under debris. Someone had taken great care to knock Xanthos out because they knew he would report to me" King pointed out.

"You believe that someone is Gideon" Ajax concluded and the King raised his chin in confirmation.

"Yes. Gideon had knocked out Xanthos and Gideon had welcomed Ash" King hissed, clenching his plastic fingers in a tight fist.

"Do you have any more proof other than this random instinct?" Ajax demanded crossing his arms against his chest.

"I do. Guess who else went to the same college as Gideon?" the King sneered.

"How would I know?" Ajax frowned.

"Lysander's daughter, who is carrying the same filthy Zeke genes as his" King spat and Ajax uncrossed his arms in shock.

"Minerva Zeke," Ajax said the name out loud and Stanislaus nodded, refusing to accept Minerva as his grand-daughter. "Are they together? Gideon and her?"