Ever? Well, that's odd. Why would Corrine lie about her place of employment? How could that get past the Dupont's with their endless money and access to resources that could check this woman's background ten times over?

          "...Oh dear." I said when I remembered I was on the phone. "It's a shame when applicants feel they need to lie on their resume isn't it?"

          "Yes ma'am."

          "Good nurses are so hard to find."

          "Most home health aides aren't registered nurses anyway."

          That, I didn't know. Was Corrine even a nurse? If not, where would she get the drugs to keep Diana unconscious? Was Este mistaken? Was she a liar? "Well, thank you for your help. My apologies for disturbing you."

          "Oh, it's no problem."

          So, our mysterious home health aide lied about her employment? Or does she work for another company? Maybe this is simply a clerical error. Maybe Alexis or Audrey got a letter wrong. It happens. But if it isn't, how could Corrine possibly swing a job giving end of life care to someone as high profile as Diana Dupont?

          If Este was telling the truth and Corrine had hated and abused Diana, then I'd have to figure out where she came from in the first place.

          But before that I needed to get through the rest of my workday. Back in the front of the house the line at the first register was backing up. I threw on my apron and opened register two.

************

          Though Jackson had left around lunch as usual I still had plenty of help. Johnny walked through the front door and made his way around the counter with little fanfare.

         I looked over my shoulder while pouring coffee. "You can bus tables for a couple of hours until Lana shows up."

         He nodded, "Thanks", and started walking back toward the break room where I stored a couple of extra aprons.

          The next two hours I ran the register while Pasha made the coffee, Devonte bagged and plated pastries and Johnny kept the floor clean and the tabletops spotless. The staff fell into a groove that ran like the most efficient of machinery.

          As traffic tapered off, I backed off and let Pasha handle the orders while I took a moment to look over my kingdom as any queen is wont to do. The sun was shining brightly through the large commercial windows; the street outside was a sea of pedestrians. Inside customers engaged in happy chatter as they sat at the tables I'd picked out and sipped at beverages from a menu designed by me.

          It had been a long journey. Four years, blood sweat, and tears, careful budgeting, and a partial loan from the bank. Not to mention the generous souls who had mentored me. But all my hard work had paid off. I was doing it. I was living my dream. My soul swelled with happiness as I looked around.

          In the back corner, Johnny swept under the condiments table. The broom went back and forth in a steady motion. His mouth was pressed shut and his eyes were lowered in concentration. I wondered what he was thinking about.

          He peered over suddenly from behind the broom handle and our eyes met. He looked away just as quickly. Was Manny right? Did Johnny have feelings for me? Did that even matter if true?

          Say Johnny did see me as more than a friend. Is it fair for me to deny work to someone for the horrible crime of having a crush? Should I just ignore it and go on with business as usual? He hasn't crossed any lines or ever made me uncomfortable. Should I set him straight or pretend like I don't see it? Assuming this wasn't just pointless supposition brought out by a jealous boyfriend, what was the protocol here?