Chapter 1: Prologue

Prologue:

I looked around the hallway while drumming my fingers on the armrest of the chair I was sitting in.  Why did everything have to be white?  The tables, the chairs, the marble floor, the walls.  I hate the color white.  What was the point of it?  It was bland and in the end it just got faded or dirty.  The worst part about the hallway: there was no other colors in the hallways besides the silver doors and the people walking around.

Well, not people.  And not always walking.  Some fly, some teleport, and some walk.  Every superhero is different, using their special powers in special ways.  I was the same way too.

But not now.  I used to be unbeatable, but one small mistake, a little overconfidence, and it was gone.

This morning, I lost my first battle.  I wasn’t sure what the effects were, but I was weak and my powers weren’t working.  I looked around again, no one walked by.  Dr. Vidsore was reviewing my scans to see what the effects were and how to fix them.

I stopped drumming my fingers, and I started playing with my hair.  What was taking him so long?  I didn’t focus on that, I focused on my hair.  Straight black, well not really black, more a very, very, very dark brown, but I consider it black, with the bottom ends tipped blue.  The tips of my hair were always blue, even after I cut it the blue came back within an hour.  Blue is my power color, the color of my force field and energy source.

I heard footsteps.  I looked and saw my friend Aqua walk in.

“Ti?” she asked.  That was my nickname, she pronounced it as you would “tie” not “tea”.  Short for Titanium, I was only called that by my closest friends, and no one ever called me “tea”.  Except The One Eyed Beast, that’s why he has one eye.  Actually he hasn’t called me that and I’m not responsible for his one eye, but that is always a fun conversation starter.

“Aqua?  What are you doing here?”

“I’m fixing the water systems.  The pressure build up is too high.  It could explode.  What are you doing here?”

“Oh.  Medical checkup.”  Then the door opened and Dr. Vidsore came out with his clipboard.

“Titanium, your results are unlike anything I have ever seen before.  I don’t know when your powers will come back, or if they will.”

I looked at Aqua.  Her eyes were wide.  “Ti, you’re a-“

I grabbed her arm and pulled her into the office.  “You can’t tell anyone,” I said as the door closed behind Dr. Vidsore.  “Please.  If anyone found out… I don’t know.”

“What happened?  Can I do anything to help?”

“What happened… I wish I knew.”

“Who did it?”

“Spirit,” I said quietly.

“Spirit?  How?”

I sat down.  “It was this morning and I was doing my regular flight around.  I sensed Spirit nearby, so I went to check it out.  I thought she was the same as I left her a month ago, just a black cloud with next to no powers.  I was wrong.”

That morning…

What could Spirit be doing?  Last I checked she couldn’t do anything.  I felt a stronger presence in one of the buildings, so I turned invisible and flew in.  When I got through the window, I flew to the center of the room, but as I did, a black fog filled the room.  It only touched me the slightest bit, but when it did I became visible again and I started to fall.

When I fought, I kept getting weaker and my powers weren’t working.  So I ran. Spirit didn’t follow me, which was weird because she normally followed me until I beat her.  And now I’m here.