Unlikely Friendships

Albus’s breath fogged the window of an empty compartment on the Hogwart’s Express. There were many trees and landscapes passing by. He nervously glanced at his textbooks. He was just reviewing the recipe for an Antidote For Common Poisons, when there was a sudden knock on the glass compartment door. Albus was extremely startled when he saw who it was. A pale boy with white-blond hair and a sly smirk on his face.

“So, Albus, I’ve heard all about you from my father. Yes. Gryffindor background, hot headed, and named after the dead professors.” “What do you want, Scorpius?” Albus demanded. “Oh, nothing much. My father told me to sit in your compartment. Something about making up for a lost friendship.” Scorpius said smugly. Albus didn’t know what to make of this. Was Scorpius friendly or not? His father had told him about the Malfoys, that they were another wizarding family, and Scorpius’s father had been in his year. Albus decided to give him a chance.

“Go on then, you can sit here.” Albus said. Scorpius extended his arm toward Albus. He grasped Scorpius’s hand firmly and shook it. In silence they each stared at the ground.

There was another person standing at the door. She had strait, coal black hair and a round face. “Hullo Flora!” Scorpius greeted the girl. She didn’t ask for an invitation to come in. She opened the door and helped herself to the seat across from Albus.

“Hullo Scorp. My Father says hi too.” The girl nodded at Albus. “And you are?” “Albus Potter. What about you?” “The name’s Flora Boardman. My parents were in the same year as yours, as well as Scorp’s.” “Who are they?” He replied.  “Pansy Parkinson and Calliou Boardman,” informed Flora. Albus was shocked. Pansy Parkinson was one of the most disliked students of her year at Hogwarts. Surely he shouldn’t be making friends with the wrong people!

“Pumpkin Pasties, Cauldron Cakes, Acid Pops!” The lunch trolley wheeler called. “I’m gonna go get some food.” said Flora. She slid the door open and returned a minute later with an armful of wizard sweets.

Scorpius gawked at the large amount of food with hunger flashing in his eyes. “Really, you couldn’t possibly think I would eat all of these by myself. You can-”. Flora didn’t get a chance to finish her sentence. Scorpius was already grabbing a pack of Chocolate Frogs. She slapped his hand away and offered some to Albus. After Albus took what he pleased, only then she let Scorpius have his share.

When they finished, Flora reminded them that it was time for them to get their school robes on. The train was supposed to get to Hogwarts in half an hour.