Story #20-Grief

Everyone copes with grief in different ways. Wilbur became much more distant, he started leaving for days at a time and returned drunk or came home and immediately slept. Tommy started acting out more at school and staying out late too, leaving Techno alone to try and piece together the fractured family.

The yelling from the living room was preventing Tommy from sleeping and he decided to just go and get them to shut up. The closer he drew to the stairs, the louder the yelling got.

"Stop acting like Dad! God, you're so infuriating, Techno!"

"I wouldn't have to act like him if you just started acting your age! Oh, don't you dare go and leave for another couple days!"

Tommy made it to the bottom step and saw the pair in each other's face, anger radiating from both.

"I'm older than you! I can do what I want!"

"I'm the only one working! Tommy needs us and all you want to do is run off! It's not our fault Dad's gone!"

Wilbur was about to yell back when Tommy cut them off, "Enough! Can you two stop?!" Both of the boys' attention snapped to the blonde on the bottom step and they moved away from each other.

"Tommy, did we wake you up? I'm sorry, maybe just go back to bed-" Techno started to move towards Tommy as Wilbur stayed with his hand on the front door.

"Can you two just shut up! If Wil wants to leave so bad then just go! You'll just turn into your mum!" He watched Wilbur grip the door handle tightly but made no move to leave. "And Techno, stop acting like him! You're just some college dropout, stop acting as if you're anywhere near Dad!"

Techno took a step back at those words. He'd risked his career, his future for Tommy. Something flashed in Tommy's eyes, but before Techno could reach to comfort him, he turned and stomped up the stairs. Techno flinched as the front door slammed close, knowing Wilbur had left too. He was all alone, again.

I need a drink, he thought to himself as he moved to the kitchen. Grabbing a beer, he opened the backyard door and sat on the steps.

For the first time since Phil's death, Techno allowed himself to cry.