Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight: Good Things

Time passes.

For Toshinori, he and his associates work slowly on phasing him out of the limelight; a plan that had already been put into action since he'd had his accident a few years prior. Only now, it seemed his PR team were working on overtime to accelerate the process. Having Toshinori drop vague hints in the few interviews he was able to do about possibly transitioning into teaching.

It was a long and meticulous process, but it was necessary so that there would be no questions when All-Might started appearing less in the public eye. One day soon, people would become familiar with the absence of Japan's number one Hero, but by then it would be long after other dependable people took on your husband's workload.

On the topic of processes, however, you had found the past few weeks to be tumultuous, if not disheartening. It seemed, for all the planning and ovulation tracking you had done; you and Toshinori simply could not conceive.

It wasn't so much that you weren't trying - after all, the dark bruises that littered your husband's neck, effectively matching the ones on your shoulders - could attest to your commitment. The problem was that, despite your vigorous efforts in the bedroom, Toshinori was a man seemingly passed his prime, with you being no different as a woman with genetic health concerns.

When the fourth week passes by with no results, a teary conversation with your husband - whispered between the sheets of your bed - leads you to this exact moment.

"So we've processed both of your bloodwork, and based on what we have found and what we got looking at Yagi-sama's sperm concentration..."

Hands clutching tightly onto one another, you and Toshinori sit at one of Musustafu's best fertility clinics - minds heavy and hearts aching as the Doctor treating you delivers the verdict.

.

Just as you had expected, the Doctor's news isn't great. You can see it in the way her eyes dim, see it in the way her spine seems to soften with sympathy and her head lowers just a smidge.

Your heart cracks before she can even deliver the blow. And judging from the way Toshinori's hand tightens around yours, you figure that his does, too.

.

Toshinori's sperm count is too low. While his swimmers are active and mobile, the amount he's producing is simply not enough for immediate fertilization.

Low sperm production was common for men your husband's age. You knew this. But hearing that Toshinori's low sperm production wasn't necessarily caused by his age, but rather, a likely cause of previous surgeries he's undertaken over the years makes the chasm in your chest widen just a tad more.

From the corner of your eye, you see Toshinori's eyes travel to his lower abdomen, eyes undoubtedly combing over to the remains of his stomach (angry, hurt, blameful), and can practically feel his shoulders sag with yet another burden, another guilt that he should not feel. Not alone, at least.

When your Doctor starts discussing alternative options, starts encouraging you both to continue as you were, or possibly consider IVF - everything sounds like it's being said underwater. Mind too preoccupied to tune back into the conversation, you pick a corner of the room - one where shadows gather - and glare.

For the first time in a long time, you curse the darkness that was All for One and how, years after his demise, you and your husband continue to suffer the consequences of his actions.