Chapter One *

Chapter One: Successors

"Would you just consider it, please?"

Shimura's voice is soft, pleading.

From where she hovers, you hold her gaze firmly, imperious to the way desperation greets you through pools of grey. She's already asked you to meet her successor countless times before, and just as you have done each time she asked, you turn your head.

Behind her, the sky continues to change, all the while rejection burns on your tongue.

It's a familiar, bitter-sweet taste.

"I've told you already, Shimura," You murmur lowly, folding your arms over your chest. It was always easier dismissing an earnest plea if you weren't looking directly at the person. "I'm not interested."

Before the woman in front of you, before Shimura, there had been another. And before that person had been Banjo. Each wielder for the past few generations; a Hero.

With the society's attitude and structure changing to accommodate the Quirked majority, of course, each successor of One for All would be a Hero. A hero was, in essence, the most suitable candidate to wield such an extreme and powerful gift.

However, with each generation, it seemed that directly assisting the current successor of One for All was becoming increasingly difficult with the way the general perception of Heroes kept changing. If society allowed modern Heroes their anonymity as they did in the past, then maybe you would've remained close to the current One for All wielder.

As it stood though, nowadays, being a Hero meant constantly being in the public's eye. If Shimura's successor was an underground Hero as Banjo had been, perhaps you would've reconsidered her plea. At least then you'd have some control over your interactions and other third-parties.

Instead, you pictured the boy she had described (blonde-hair, blue eyes, a wide reassuring grin) and shake your head once more.

Shimura's successor sounded like he was going to be the next big thing and the last thing you needed was to be caught hanging around him.

"You know how I operate... I will intervene if I have to, Shimura," You offer the tense women a placating nod; the only thing you can offer. "But as it has been for the past few generations, I will continue to do what I've done underground. When it comes to training One for All's new vessel and passing on the secrets of the Quirk, however, I will leave that between you and your successor."

Shimura's lips thin in response, and finally, for what seems to be the first time since you've met her - her feet lower onto the ground.

"I guess I'll just have to accept that then," the Pro-Hero sighs softly, closing her eyes. "Though I do hope one day you'll be able to change your mind, (Y/N). Toshinori... he's different from the rest of us."