Chapter 7: January 20

Start from the beginning

I drained the flute and quickly set it aside before selecting another. This was dangerous territory.

The raised voices and laughter held no appeal and eventually, a cool draught of air led me to the patio area and down to the poolside.

It was quieter here and I had time to gather my thoughts. I sat down and sipped Champagne, watching guests come and go.

I'd been to a couple of these parties but tonight seemed different. Mark had been tense back home and keen that I looked a certain way.

The red silk dress and Jimmy Choos were for show. I was hiding behind this glamorous facade and yet I had no idea why.

The night air was cooling and soon I was lost in thought. For a blissful moment, I zoned out from the party and pretended I was on some far-off shore with just the stars and moonlight for company.

 I don't know how long I spent dreaming but the sound of Mark's voice brought me back to reality.

"Meghan, this is Grant Moore. Remember I was talking about his company over dinner last night?"

I stood up and gave the most winning of smiles, just as Mark had instructed.  Grant was mid-40s, hair greying slightly around the temples with a perfectly tailored suit hanging off a toned body. And he was ambitious. Mark had told me he was, but I could see it myself, just by looking in his eyes.

"Nice to meet you, Grant. I'm Meghan." I held out my hand and his grip was firm and his gaze unwavering.

"Nice to meet you, Meghan. We're just going to talk inside. I'm sure you can entertain yourself for another five minutes. It's just business."

And just like that, they were gone. This was the pattern at the few parties I'd so far attended.

Mark held talks behind closed doors or out of earshot of potential business rivals.

I was then left to fend for myself among people I didn't know and cared even less about.

The five minutes turned into an hour. I wandered back inside, taking a self-guided tour of the ground floor, aware of admiring glances but always careful to avoid conversations. 

This was business and Mark had insisted I remain focused and available whenever my services were needed.

"Darling." 

I turned quickly, the alcohol causing my head to spin slightly. Mark had a huge smile plastered across his face and his hand was clamped on Grant's shoulder.

If Mark knew I was slightly inebriated, he hid it well, sliding his arm around my waist and pulling me in for a kiss.

That was the signal that the deal had been brokered. Mark had briefed me earlier. 

If only he'd told me what came next.

Grant followed as Mark guided us through the crowds of people. Now and then, he stopped to address an acquaintance until suddenly I was left alone with Grant.

The Champagne at least dulled the rising fear.

"So, have you and Mark finalized any sort of deal?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"How much does he tell you?" he replied, glancing around to check no-one was listening.

"Enough for me to know a little about how his business works."

"in that case, you'll know what tonight's deal entails." 

His hand slipped to the small of my back where the red silk scooped away.

"Let's go upstairs where it's quiet."

"But what about Mark," I said. The lights were dimmed and I spotted him on the other side of the room. His back was turned as he talked to what looked like another potential investor.

"It's all part of the deal that we've been discussing. I thought you said you knew enough about his business to know how these things work."

"Mark tells me everything," I said, trying to assert what little confidence remained.

"In that case, I'm sure Mark's made you aware of the finer details." He emphasized those last two words just as his hand slipped below the silk.

****

I can't bring myself to carry on with what happened next.

What I can say is that it didn't end there. That was just the beginning of life with Mark Jenson.

You're wondering why I did what I did and didn't just leave?

I was scared. Scared of returning to a life I had escaped. Scared of returning to parents who would trap me in their downward spiral. Scared of what Mark would most certainly do.

I knew too much about his dirty business deals and the grubby dollars that lined his bank accounts.

I was trapped. But it was my decision. And I accept that.