Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Mayume walked for about five minutes until she came to a stop. Tears continued to roll down her cheeks as she wondered if Hotohori would truly kill Miaka. With all her heart, she hoped that he would not. Mayume tried to look into the future but all she saw was nothingness. That’s all she really seemed to see in this little village. Nothing. It bothered Mayume to no end. It was as if something was horribly wrong within the village. But what?

Mayume was drawn out of her thoughts about Chouko when her sight began she shift into another vision, except this time she could actually see something. She watched as Hotohori, Nurikko, Tasuki, and herself ran towards the doctor’s, Myo Juan, small hut. As quickly as the vision came, it left and from a distance, Mayume could hear her name being called. Mayume turned to see the three Suzaku warriors approaching her. As they drew near, Mayume said, “Let me guess, we’re going to Myo Juan’s hut again to beg him to try and heal Miaka…”

“Yeah, how did you…” Nuriko began to ask before trailing off. “You had a vision, didn’t you?”

Mayume nodded, “Yes. Though I can’t tell you how it will turn out. I only saw us going there and asking for his help. I never saw his reply.”

“We should hurry. We don’t have time to spare,” Hotohori interrupted before Nuriko could reply.

The other three nodded in agreement. “Right!”

~*~

“So you’re back,” Myo Juan stated as he looked over his shoulder at the four warriors standing in his doorway.

“Please return to the city with us and save Miaka’s life,” Hotohori requested of the former doctor. He, then, knelt down on his knees and hands, bowing to the scruffy looking man. “I beg of you! Please!”

Following Hotohori’s example, Mayume, Nuriko, and Tasuki also knelt down and bowed to the man. “I’m beggin’ ya too! Without a doctor, there’s no chance at all!”

“The only thing left is Shoka’s way, and we just can’t bring ourselves to do it!” Nuriko added.

The man paused at the mention of Shoka’s name. Mayume noticed than his grey eyes widened and his body began to tremble slightly. “W-What? Did you just say Shoka? It can’t be!”

Mayume exchanged bewildered glances with Nuriko and Tasuki before Nuriko answered the man. “W-Well, yeah. Miaka’s at Miss Shoka’s house right now!”

“No!! That’s impossible!!” Myo Juan shouted, startling the cat that had been sleeping peacefully in the corner. “Shoka…Shoka had the disease a year ago…and she died!” The doctor explained while trying to hold back the tears that started to well up in his eyes.

Mayume’s orange eyes widened at news of Miss Shoka’s apparent death. If the woman had died, then how was she still walking among the living? Well, Mayume supposed she really had no room to talk, but Taiitsukun was the one who brought her back. She highly doubted the old sage had done the same for Miss Shoka.

“You mean to say that Miss Shoka’s dead?! That she died of the Shikonki disease?!” Hotohori questioned in disbelief.

Everyone stood up from their former kneeling positions as Myo Juan answered, “That’s exactly what I’m saying. I was her doctor back then.”

“But if that’s true, then who’s that Choukou broad with Miaka now?” Tasuki inquired.

“It doesn’t matter. Right now we need to get back there before something happens to Miaka!” Mayume interjected. “I’ve got a bad feeling. And I still can’t see anything.”