Chapter 4

Chapter 4  

Mayume yawned as she stretched slightly. She was in her new room at the palace in Konan. It was different that than her room in Mount Taikyoku but she liked it none the less. It was more human-like than her old room. Mayume sat on her bed noticing that it wasn't as soft as her old bed had been, but it would make do. She was starting to think she was becoming spoiled with how luxurious had been since she lived with Taiitsukun.

A soft meow drew Mayume's attention toward the bag she had brought with her. She stood from the bed and went to open up her satchel. Upon opening it, a yellow blur jumped from out of the bag and into Mayume's arms. Mayume blinked in surprise but let out a laugh. "Xia! I had been worried about you! I didn't know where you had went off too while I had been packing." Xia purred and seemed to meow an apology to Mayume. Mayume scratched behind her ear affectionately. "It's okay, as long as you're safe."

Mayume walked back to her bed and laid down, placing Xia on her stomach as she continued to pet the saber-cat. Suddenly her vision swam and the scenery before her eyes changed. An unknown man was inside the Priestess's room, demanding that Tamahome to be handed over to Kuto or else several villages along the border would be destroyed. When Mayume regained her sight, she shot up out of bed, startling Xia. She ignored the aggravated feline as she dashed out of her room towards Miaka's. Mayume could already sense the presence of the intruder.

As she neared Miaka's room, she saw Hotohori standing outside. "Hotohori!"

The Emperor turned to look at Mayume. He was surprised to see her running in such a hurry. "There's someone inside Miaka's room!"

Hotohori sighed, "I know. It's just Tamahome."

"No, I mean an intruder!" At that moment, Hotohori also sensed the unknown person. He threw open Miaka's door with Mayume following close behind.

"Be careful! Both of you! I can sense something very evil in this room!" Tamahome and Miaka both stood up from the bed as Hotohori and Mayume entered.

At the mention of another presence, a deep voice began to speak. "Listen carefully!"

"Who are you?!" Tamahome demanded.

I bear a message from Kuto for the Priestess of Suzaku!" the voice announced, ignoring Tamahome's question. "Our forces have already occupied several villages in Konan. Your kingdom is ours for the taking if we wish! However, if the one of the Suzaku Seven known as Tamahome is delivered to Kuto, we will advance no further!"

Miaka looked at Tamahome in concern. "Deliver Tamahome to the enemy?"

"Those are our terms. If the one member of the Suzaku Seven known as Tamahome is delivered to Kuto we will advance no further," the intruder repeated.

Just then, both Chichiri and Nuriko entered the room, both having sensed the intruder's presences. "Miaka!" Nuriko called out. "There's evil present."

Chichiri looked around the room and then up at the ceiling. "It's up there!" Chichiri casted a spell to reveal the hidden person. A man cloaked in black appeared clinging to the ceiling. Mayume quickly grabbed her whip - which she had thankfully not removed from her person earlier in her room - and cracked it towards the enemy. The man narrowly missed having the whip wrapped around his neck when he flipped down from the ceiling. The man landed on the ground with a grunt. Hotohori took the opportunity to attack the man with his sword, though he only managed to cut the intruder's clothing. Tamahome ran towards the man before kicking him. The man dodged the attack and burst through a bamboo covered window. Nuriko left the room, chasing after the man.

"Stop right there!" The man ignored Nuriko's demand and began to run. "Have it your way then." Nuriko tore the railing and threw it at the running man, however the man jumped just in time for the railing to hit the wall instead. Nuriko frowned, "Oh no! He broke the palace wall! How awful!"