Chapter One: Annie; Why does this place give out permanent markers anyways?

A/N: Welcome to my new book, one I'm hoping I actually get somewhere with!! HUGE thank you to stridingout for her help with the cover, couldn't do it without her!!! Love you! Please go follow her for some great stories!!!
Chapter one-Annie; Why does this place give out permanent markers anyways?

It was not the smell of the markers themselves that bothered my nose, but the cleaner I had to wipe the walls with. This ward of the building was dedicated to patients dealing with hallucinations and schizophrenia, and the walls always were covered in writing. The particular room I was scrubbing was one of the more organized, and the writing on the walls made sense. I honestly couldn't have imagined working for a mental asylum even seven months ago. If you had told me back then that one day, I would be cleaning sharpie off the walls of those classified as insane, I would have laughed. The English majors don't do that, they write in their sheltered apartment with their seventeen cats...
I wasn't your average English major, I guess.
College was an escape for me, finishing my masters in five years, and yet here I stand with a spray bottle in one hand and a rough brush in the other, cleaning the word 'Lost" off the wall. To be completely honest, I didn't expect this. I didn't even know what Adams, INC. was until I showed up at the front after seeing the ob in the classifieds. All I needed was a weekend job to help pay the bills until I could bring in more money from my book, but soon it was every day, and I couldn't get enough. I actually hadn't picked up a pencil in months, which scared me. I didn't want to write anything, simply I had nothing to write about. The only stories I cared about were neatly typed up on patient charts hanging outside each room. It could be said I was obsessed with these peoples' stories, but it was more than that, I was so interested in what made them tick. I cleaned their rooms every day, meaning I was in charge of making sure they were comfortable and happy.

Adams was good to their patients, each individual room actually more like a small apartment. Each contained their own living room with a couch and television connected and a part of their bedroom, a large bathroom, and a small kitchen with a mini fridge and microwave. I guess it could be said I was the happiest person with a job, and loved all the patients. But, I wasn't in love with them, no, I was in love with the idea of a story at first, but then I fell in love with their real-life stories, I fell in love with each beautiful but tortured person. Inspiration was my first idea after acquiring the job, because finally, ideas for a great story, but once again, I couldn't write. I wanted each story for myself. Because of my work in this wing, I was used to the more, well, stable patients. Once a patient is diagnosed, they were placed in the corresponding ward for their illness. When they began to show signs of relaxing at the hospital, they were moved to a new ward, where they had a single roommate and were given some responsabilities and tasks of their own. After that, they were moved into private living, but were given almost complete free rein, and left to do as they pleased with the other patients. This included swimming in the hospitals pool, attending specialized classes, really anything the patients wanted. They were allowed to discard of their hospital clothes and wear anything they pleased, as long as they wore the thin green bracelet, reminding each worker this was still a patient, but was pretty reliable. They each had their moments, but most of the time, I could have tea with them and discuss anything. These people had become my friends.

My phone beeped, signaling my work was over for today, and that the patients would be returning to their rooms soon. I quickly put my supplies away and picked up my phone from the top of the cleaning dolly. I scrolled through my messages as I put the cart away, and a message from my boss, Carter, surprised me. Carter was a good friend of mine, and quickly after getting the job, we had hit it off. To most workers, he was Dr. Manigan, but due to our friendship, I was kept on a first name basis. "Annie, we have a board meeting tonight and would be thrilled if you could join us. Please come to my office when you are done." His text nearly had me coughing. Being a cleaner, I was around during the day and went home by three. His request scared me.

I pocketed my phone, took a deep breath, and sped off down the hallway. The door at the end of this hallway was where I could take a shortcut to enter Carter's office, and my mind raced, trying to figure out if I had done something wrong. I was so lost in my thoughts, I didn't notice a figure coming down the hall until I crashed into a thin, but tall frame. I yelped as my feet came out from under me, and I fell on to the person I had just run into. A quiet whine was all I heard before I rolled off the body I had just collapsed onto, causing me to jump up. The person I had smashed was, well, beautiful. A younger man, looking around my age, caught my eyes as I stood above him. His sea-green eyes were twisted with emotions I couldn't read, but I offered him a hand still. I felt awful about crashing into him, which was completely my fault, but I was extremely surprised to see the light green bracelet of a patient on the lanky mans wrist. I followed his arm up to the edge of his thin white t-shirt, which hung off his slender frame. A colorful rose tattoo followed by several lines gave the thin arms a happier appearance, but the rest of the ink was covered by the shirt. I once again looked into his eyes, and this time, a more readable expression was visible; Curiosity. I was sure my eyes gave off the same emotion, and my mind itched to know this face, I couldn't have possibly seen him before... He must be new on this floor.

"I'm so sorry! That was totally my fault, can I get you anything? Are you okay?!" I blurted out, reaching up to cover my mouth, honestly shocked I had just word-vomited like that... His only response, at first, was to watch my eyes. Soon, he began to open and close his mouth several times before finally deciding he couldn't form any words. He simply pointed to the back of his head, giving me a sheepish and shy grin. I was sure his head must have hurt, after I'm sure he smashed it on the floor when I fell on him, and I was sure a bruise was forming. Finally, he placed his hand, quite gently, into my outstretched arm and I helped him up. I began to walk toward the cafeteria for an icepack when he once again whined quietly. I offered him my hand, which he again gigngerly took before walking with him in the direction of the mess hall. I sat him down in a chair nearest to the door into the back room, where the freezer was located, and quickly retrieved a cold gel-filled bag for his head. 

"I never caught your name, and I'm sorry about that." I explained, hoping he was calm enough to talk now. He looked up from his hands, catching my eyes. Fear blew over his emotions, he was terrified to speak... Finally, he closed his eyes and opened his mouth slowly.

"M-my n-name is K-Kellan..." He stuttered, but I was caught off-guard by the mans voice... It was so methodical and smooth, even with the stuttering, that I nearly dropped the cold item I was carrying.

"Well, Kellan, I'm Annie, Nice to meet you. How about we go back to your room and I have a nurse come check on you in a few hours?" I placed the cold pack on the table. He tenderly picked it up and placed it to the back of his skull. His response t my question was a simple nod of  his head and I led him back to the hallway.

"Th-Thank you..." He whispered as I let his arm go in front of his door.

"No problem, it was my fault anyways!" I smiled, turning to go back to my original goal, my boss's office. I only stopped when his eyes locked on mine, sea-green to my light blue. His soft eyes gave off a look of excitement, which surprised me... I broke our eye contact, quickly hurrying off to Carter. 
Who was this boy, why was this the first time I've seen him, and why did me crashing into him have him so happy?!