chapter seven

When you go running towards the house, no one stops you

When you go running towards the house, no one stops you. You raise your gun and kick down the door, expecting the worst. The young woman is screaming for help. The unsub lies on the floor, two bullet wounds, one to the head, one to the chest. The unsub's father cries out for help, clutching a bleeding leg. Your eyes scan around quickly and fall on Hotch who is just sitting up from the floor, a large gash over his eyebrow dripping blood down his face. He clutches the small gun from his ankle holster.

The rest of the team comes running in behind you with a flurry of paramedics and police offices. You ignore most of the commotion and bend down to Hotch's level. His breathing is ragged and he groans softly in pain. You grip his chin tightly in your small hands, tilting his head to get a good look at the cut on his face.

He attempts to pull away from your grip but you hold on too tightly to let him, "I'm okay," He reassures you but you don't speak, simply letting go of his face and looking over his body for any other signs of injury.

He places his palms on the floor, getting ready to stand, "Hey, Y/n." He calls and you look back up into his eyes. You gnaw at the inside of your cheek anxiously and you feel your brows knitted tightly together, "I'm okay. Look at me, I'm okay." He speaks softly to you. As he goes to get up you place a hand on his shoulder, trying to keep him on the floor. Despite the fact that he's much larger than you, and you're definitely not strong enough to keep him on the ground he stops.

"We need a medic," You call out to one of the paramedics entering the house.

Hotch waves his hand and tries to push you away slightly, "Really I'm fine."

You wave over a medic, help Hotch up off the floor, and hand him off to the paramedic who walks him outside. You stand still in the center of the room, everyone moving around you. The coroner loads the unsub onto the gurney, zipping up the body bag around him. The unsub's father is quickly carted away on a gurney and loaded into an ambulance.

"You okay?" Prentiss places a hand on your shoulder, coming up behind you.

"Yeah," You feel her eyes scan over you. Her hand moves, rubbing a reassuring circle into your back.

"I didn't mean to get so harsh with you earlier," She sighs, "But Hotch is okay. You need to trust him."

"I know, Emily," Your tone is biting. You don't mean to snap at her but right now all you can think about is Hotch. There's a long moment of silence between the two of you. Your eyes remain on the unsub's father, "It just feels like we're letting a criminal go free." You avoid the topic of Hotch entirely. At this point, Emily has clearly figured you two out and it's inevitable that the rest of the team will find out soon, especially after your outburst.

"I know," She speaks softly with you. There's another long pause. "Go. Make sure he's not giving the paramedics a hard time." She laughs lightheartedly but you can't manage a smile.