*****

Angshu and Bratati have already riched the mandap and sit in front of the Agni (sacred fire) while chanting the vedic mantras after the pandit.

My eyes search for Agni and I see her behind a few women, leaning against a made-up pillar. She has changed her clothes with a pair of black jeans and black top while a brown leather jacket hangs loosely from her shoulders. Her long hair with violet locks cascades down to her waist.

The mandap is filling up with a crowd but not like yesterday as it's still morning. Sneha and Priya sit beside Bratati cheering the bride as her nose has turned red and she will start crying any moment.

My watch shows it's 6:30 a.m. and I bring out me phone to call mom.

After two rings, she picks up, "Ha beta, is the wedding started?" Her voice sounds sleepy and tired. (Yes, son)

"Yeah, it has. Have you guys reached home safely?"

"Yes, we have reached at 3 a.m. and everyone is tired."

"Okay, get rest. I'll call when we leave," I say ending the call.

A sigh leaves from my throat as I look at Angshu. He's all grown up now. It still feels like yesterday, he used to cry over small matters while Dev and I would tease him. Now, he's settling down. His face has a glittering effect whenever his eyes gazing at Bratati. He must like her so much.

The pandit asks them to stand up and readying for Saptapadi(phere)* as he places seven betel leaves and seven beetlenuts on them, from their peere(wooden plank for sitting). Bratati takes the lead while Angshu follows her. She slowly and steadily walks on the betel leaves touching the nuts while Angshu supports her for balance. Then they take a full round the sacred fire while the crowd present there including me, bless them by throwing rose petals and rice.

"It's wonderful. Isn't it?" A voice says beside me, snapping me out of my stance.

I tilt my head and Agni is there, a sad smile playing on her lips. It says a million untold emotions and my heart skip a beat.

"It is." I throw rose petals at them.

The couple starts taking second step around the holy fire and a child whips a banana tree on Angshu's butt. It isn't a hard slap but everyone burst out laughing while Angshu looks behind him why the hell the child is whipping him.

"What's that?" I ask chuckling.

"That is Nit bor* and he's making sure, he doesn't leave her. That's why he's whipping," Agni states.

I laugh when the little nit bor whips him again and they takes their third step on the betel leaves. It is funny but I have come to know, people made this rituals to torture the couple so they would not have a second thought on getting married for the second time.

"What's the purpose of phere?" I ask.

"Bind the couple for seven lives."

It doesn't sound good at all and I look at her with a frown.

"That's awful. If we get married now, then we'll have to bear our partner for the next seven lives. Then in our next live, if we get married again then we'll have to bear them for another seven lives..."

A frown appears on her face as well then slowly she looks up at me, "That looks like eternal process."

I nod.

"God! That's truly awful." And we both break out in laughter while I see Agni's mother is looking at us with a glare and I straighten up while the couple completes the seven phere.