13.0: Phone Calls and Suspects

Start from the beginning

"I'll go with you." Crystal looked at Hotch as he went towards the door, she sighed as she gave the team a smile.

I have a feeling we're going to have a talk about Strauss's phone call.

When Crystal reached the SUV Hotch opened her door for her and closed it after she got in, they started driving once he entered the car. They didn't say anything for awhile before he sighed, "Agent Archer I can tell something Strauss said on your phone call is bothering you."

"And how do you know that?"

"You have a tell." Crystal gave him a somewhat amused look, "Really? You figured it out already?"

"Your smile. You don't fake one but when someone is asking something that is clearly bothering you, you smile and avoid the question." Crystal stared at him for a bit, when they reached a red light he stared back. "Something did bother me yes, but it's not her. Just something in the past that doesn't sit well with what she said."

"Mind telling me what she said?"

"You're really persistent aren't you Agent Hotchner?"

"Would you rather we talk about this later?" The light turned green and the car started moving again, Crystal sighed. "No, we can talk about it now. Strauss's main point in our conversation was that I am replaceable, the team functions with or without me here."

Hotch didn't respond, Crystal looked over to see him gripping the steering wheel. Crystal looked out the window, "She also put it rather forwardly that being involved with you isn't something I would want to bring up with the director, but don't worry. I made it clear that you're a great Unit Chief who would never jeopardize the BAU, she's just doing her job with interrogating me."

"You're not replaceable Agent, you're a great add on to the team and I hope you don't take her words seriously."

"They're true though, besides she's just worried about the team's reputation."

"No they aren't," Hotch parked the car in front of the studio and turned to look at her, "You're an amazing Agent and you've been a big help to the team, to me. It's correct that there are many people who could become profilers, but there isn't a person out there who could take on the role you have in the team."

"And what role would that be?"

"A profiler who is able to see past me and a person who's become a friend." Crystal laughed, "Agent Hotchner I don't really see how that's a role, I'm sure you're close with the other team members as well."

"It is a role, it's a role no one has filled yet. You're very compassionate and caring with your actions towards others, even with Strauss insulting you you're defending her. You play the role of being a reasonable person and you are very observant of the people around you for only being here 2 months, you fill the role of a warm friend who's there when you need them." Hotch smiled at her and she returned it, "I'm glad I can fill that role for you Agent Hotchner, I think we should continue this conversation later."

He nodded as they both got out of the car and headed inside the studio, he opened the door for her. There was a teenage boy at the desk, he waved at them. "Hey, classes aren't over yet. Which class is your child in right now?"

Hotch showed him his badge, "We're with the FBI, can you tell us where Catherine Berry is?" The boy's eyes widen a bit, "Woah, FBI? That's so cool, Miss Berry's class isn't done just yet. It'll be another 10 minutes before the class ends." Crystal smiled at him, "This is an urgent matter, would you mind showing us to her anyway?"

The boy hesitated a bit before nodding, "Yeah if it's really important, right this way." He walked from the desk to a hallway, Hotch and Crystal followed him. "What's your name?" He turned to look at them, "My names Nate, I work part-time here as the receptionist and help clean up around here sometimes for extra shifts. Miss Berry doesn't like her classes being interrupted, so she might be a bit agitated."