Chapter XXI: New Injuries

Tuesday and Wednesday were filled with unwanted attention from both guys and girls. The guys seemed scared of me, and the girls—well, I wasn't sure what to make of them. Half of them actually took the time to ask me if I were really dating Ashton, while the other half just resorted to shooting me dirty looks any chance they got.

Despite having told practically the whole school that Ash and I were not dating, I couldn't seem to shake the constant staring. Was I not convincing enough? Why couldn't they believe me?

Then there was Britt. She and I hadn't spoken once since last Saturday morning, and it didn't appear as if that were about to change anytime soon. She was constantly with Josh, and they often left school for lunch or sat on the opposite side of the cafeteria during lunch period.

For the time being, Ash and Dave were my new lunch partners—an equally confusing development—but it just wasn't right without Britt. She and I had eaten lunch together since we were in sixth grade, and now we were separated voluntarily for the first time.

At least our separate lunch tables forced me to think about the why. The why involved one person—Joshua Presley. I had yet to plan my attack, but today—Thursday—I was finally going to do it. I was going to approach him whether I liked it or not.

I needed the truth.

My main concern was getting him alone—I couldn't afford any run-ins with Britt—and my math class with him was my likeliest bet. All I had to do was to corner him before he went to his next class.

The minute class was dismissed, I practically pounced on Josh. He was taken off-guard enough that I was able to grab him by the shirt and pull him aside as we were leaving the classroom.

There was a deserted classroom not fifteen paces away from my math room, so I pulled Josh into it before letting him go and folding my arms resolutely across my chest. I was a far cry from intimidating, but it was worth the try.

Most of the guys at school were already scared of me now. But that wasn't because of anything I had done—it was just because I was rumored to be Ashton's girlfriend. He wasn't as famous as he was last school year, but they were still intimidated by him. Sadly, Josh wasn't intimidated.

Almost the second we were alone, Josh looked at me with such amusement that I briefly thought there was something on my face. Appearing completely at ease, he grinned and said, "Why, hello, Maine! What's up?"

Ignoring his light mood, I cut right to the chase. "I want the truth."

He chuckled at this, not looking disturbed in the least. "The truth? I have no idea what you're talking about."

Trying my best to ignore his act, I said just as seriously as before, "Yes. The truth." He smiled at me again in an almost patronizing manner, but I didn't shy away. "It's about the picture you put in the lunch room."

Raising his eyebrows in surprise, he said innocently, "What picture?"

I grit my teeth before muttering, "You know exactly what I'm talking about."

He was the picture of calm as he titled his head to the side. "Maine, I'm really not sure what you're getting at. I never did anything with a—picture?"

I ignored him again. "Why did you do it?" He smiled again in feigned ignorance, so I tried again. "I already know you had the picture, so tell me why you put it the cafeteria."

Furrowing his brow, he asked smoothly, "Why do you keep accusing me? Why would I do something like that?"

He should have been upset though. He didn't seem nearly upset enough that I was accusing him. I narrowed my eyes, sizing him up for the first time. Perhaps Josh was cunning—I'd never pegged him as cunning, but he was clearly playing me right now. "That's what I'd like to know."