Don't You Want Power Too?

Madness takes its form in two separate ways.

      Or, humans who cannot deal with their realities.

Wilbur whistled softly, his pickaxe slung over his shoulder as he clambered out of his makeshift mine. His arms hurt like hell, but he smiled in content at all the materials he had collected. He emerged into their cold ravine, observing the various cobblestone patches interrupting the smooth stone, the only contrast in the barren cave. His smile dropped when he felt the familiar pang of guilt stab his stomach, a jolting reminder.

L'Manburg.

This isn't L'Manburg.

This isn't home.

He had suddenly become so cold, and he wrapped his arms around himself as he trudged to their ravine. He suddenly heard a loud bark echo through the ravine, and he jumped a little, frightened. He whipped around to see a small wolf wagging its tail innocently, and he breathed out a sigh of relief.

The dog yapped again, obviously expecting something. Wilbur sighed, bending down to feed the little wolf a piece of his last portion of steak. He couldn't help the tiny smile that came to his lips as the little guy gobbled it up in glee.

"You're a hungry little guy, aren't you? How did you end up down here?"

Wilbur reached out to pet the wolves' soft fur, and the small dog nuzzled his hand affectionately. Wilbur noticed one of his legs was broken, dragging uselessly behind him. He must have fallen down the ravine and broken his leg on the way. Wilbur smiled sadly.

"I think we'll get along well, buddy. I'm sorry that you broke your leg."

Wilbur continued to stroke the little dog's soft coat, eyes filled with sadness. The little guy wagged his tail happily, oblivious to the cracks in Wilbur's voice. Wilbur's hand froze when he was suddenly reminded of petting Fundy's soft orange fur, singing lullabies, and rocking him to sleep. He always came to Wilbur when he had nightmares.

"You- you're not like him, buddy. You- you won't betray me like him, right?"

The little wolf tilted his small head in confusion at the tears beginning to form in Wilbur's eyes, nuzzling his frozen hand to encourage him to keep going.

"I can't trust anyone anymore, buddy. But I think I can trust you. You're a- you're a dog. You're not human."

Wilbur let out a sad chuckle, continuing to stroke the dog's fur again. He was sitting on the hard cave floor now, his legs crossed. The little dog climbed into his lap as he continued to pet him slowly.

"That's the thing about humans, buddy. That's the thing about people. They- they only care about what's best for themselves. They only care about getting the better deal, and then when they get it, they crush you and leave you behind."

Resentment was thick in Wilbur's voice as he clutched the wolf to his chest. He shut his eyes tight and tears flowed out of them.

"Was I not enough? Was I not enough for them?"

Wilbur choked out a small sob. Tears fell into the little dog's fluffy fur as Wilbur slumped dejectedly.

"But you're just a dog." Wilbur laughed, a sharp, painful sound. "I'm talking to a dog."

The tiny guy looked up at his tear-stained face. He suddenly licked his cheek with his warm tongue, wiping away his tears. Wilbur smiled softly.

"I think I'll call you L'Dog." He scratched behind his ear. "Do you like that name?"