VI Black day

He stood naked holding a wet sponge in his hand. The air was filled with censes, but his own body stank with sweat. The rose water would wash it away, as His servant he must hold himself as an example for others. The galaxy belongs to mankind and people should look like masters of the life, not as, - he looked for the word to finish his thought, - as its beaten spongers. At least when there is a possibility.
- Inform Boethius I will visit him soon, - the duty didn't wait and never would. No time to muse on axioms. - Then get my armour cleaned.
- Yes, master, - the robed servitor left his cabin. It was a good servant, one of the best he's ever had. Sebastian finished washing and put on a simple grey robe. He just arrived from Abderra after the purging the Xenos den: all alien bodies were burned to nothing; their possessions are melted; the labyrinth was searched through and through by many scout groups and burred by an explosion. No trace of survived rogues, the alien treat has been stated as terminated. Such small group brought so many damages. Of course, Abderra wouldn't notice such small losses over hundreds of years and wouldn't be brought into jeopardy. But the whole Imperium suffers from the similar itching and bites. The xenos parasites.
- Thank You for protection, I shall serve You more, - murmured the inquisitor kneeling in the corner of his small compartment before His images: a golden statue size of an forearm and a plain steel Aquilla which could be hidden in the grip of a gauntlet, but consecrated in the shrine of holy Sanguinius the Demons Banisher. He inherited both relics with the Ataraxis over thirty Terran years ago. The ship was his but didn't become a home. Rather a moving front of eternal war. The war he had led for almost one and a half hundred years and was glad and honored to take a place in first rows. After the prayer Sebastian came to a tall lectern desk made of carved wood. It had few shelves with his most frequently used manuscripts and writing accessories. Along the opposite wall Sebastian had a working desk, filled with cogitators, data-plates and connected to the Ataraxis' system. But he liked to actually write down messages of this kind. Besides, no vox-system could send it anyway. The inquisitor picked up a quill and dipped it into ink. He forgot all noises around and started to write.

- 425.126.M42. To inquisitor Dana Khudsiana, - he hasn't seen his superior over ten years. It was him who linked Sebastian with the Ordo. Dana sent him orders and received reports of his action. The captain of Ataraxis was totally able to collect any needed forces for his operations. But if such necessity arises, older inquisitor would assist to gather other agents or even mightier powers. And it's Dana who mustn't know of Titus's true origin. - Xenos presence in Migdonia sector confirmed. Xenos status - terminated. - The operation went well. Pison showed the best of him, practically successfully leading his own investigation. He had everything to become his peer in the future. Jacob gathered the army forces, but Sebastian's decree alone would do the same. The man belonged to the Guard; not likely he would rise higher in the Inquisition. And he should had been avoided that shot. Somehow the xenos gun has turned his leg below the knee into glass and now it was being replaced with augmentation on the surface. Another casualty was Luisa. Her whole right side would be replaced: a new arm, a new leg, new skin and an eye. Tapio delivered her plea not to be left in the hospital. The woman wanted to die a martyr. The operation and he would provide her the chance. - The operation status: proceed. - That was the end of the report. The search was in process, and Titus wasn't a better choice for it than anybody Sebastian could employ. But the Astartes may be used later. So far, he proved unmatched battle abilities of his species. A very dangerous tool, demanded the constant control. What fate for this shard of legendary past did his mentor foresee? Matteo Abate. Sebastian remembered this man every day. It was him, who took him out of the Guard where he served as a humble psyker and brought him into his crew. Saw his potential to become a better tool for the Emperor and molded him for the new duty. The age took its inevitable toll on mentor's main asset - his brain. No augmentation would prolong his service. His last word to the Ordo was to make Sebastian his successor. Sebastian received the rank of inquisitor and Ataraxis at the same day. The day Matteo left the holy Inquisition for his quest to join the God-Emperor in his eternal light. Sebastian didn't know if his mentor reached the Chamber of Astronomican. But he knew the secret of inquisitor Matteo: a century ago his mentor investigated a strange warp activity and found out a lonely guest in this system. He must had killed him, but had a vision of possible usefulness of the prodigal Astartes in the future. The inquisitor was an honored member of the Ordo and his opinion could be noted. But he didn't tell his superiors of that finding. If that wasn't a heresy, it was something on the very edge of that damnation. Titus lived on Olynthum under the secret surveillance and wasn't on mind of Sebastian. But when the current operation brought him in Migdonia sector, he decided that the time the vision told about came. He eliminated those few who knew about Titus and met him in person. If the renegade Astartes didn't meet the beliefs of Matteo, Sebastian would kill him. He would not be tainted as a traitor, he had so much to do in His name. And he will not let the memory of his mentor be stained with any speculation. The tool will be used and melted or broken as a defected one.
Sebastian turned from the desk. He was alone except for a servo-skull soaring at his shoulder. Some food and water were placed on the desk. The inquisitor ate swiftly and left his cabin. The corridor was dimly lighted and lacked any decoration. Plain walls with rows of hatches to other personal compartments. From the outside there were no way to tell which belonged to rich Jacob and which to poor Tapio. But one occupant was easy to find. Sebastian pushed the rune on one door and when it opened the feeling of density got stronger. He came in the cabin of the astropath.
- Boethius, - the inquisitor greeted his servant aloud meeting the eyes of the wretched figure. The astropath looked drain and fatigued, but Sebastian met many of his kind to know that this one will serve for many years more. The cabin was full of protection both by Mechanicus and Ministorum to look to that.
- Inquisitor, - the deaf man bowed and sat into his working chair preparing to fulfill his duty. Sebastian gave him the written message and prepared to wait. The sending might take up to few hours, and the servitor could stand here for him, but there was the tiniest chance that the direct communication will be opened. A rare thing worth waiting for. This time Boethius has twisted and grimaced for an hour piercing the void with his mind. He opened his turbid eyes - it was time to seal the message.
- Ataraxis, - clearly pronounced the inquisitor. He imagined the ship, Matteo who brought him here and left it to him. Not the mere word, but the whole complex of emotions, memories and attitude to the ship would crypt the sent report. Dana or another receiver would have to match the psychic print to read the message. - Thank you, Boethius, get rest.
Sebastian took the letter from the shaking hand of the Astropath and burned it with the light of one of the candles around and came out the cabin. The servo-skull met him with the creak.
- Inquisitor, the check had been done.
- Meet me on the deck, Mechanicus. - Sebastian, followed by the skull, went through the corridor and came downstairs. The techno-priest stood there; all three mooring boxes were open showing the flyers and the servitors were busying around the one which took him back from the Abderra.
- All flying vessels are in appropriate state, its machines spirits are pacified, - the priest spoke through his servo-skull. With the next words the eye glowed with anger, - Jacob's armour is intact except for the greave and boot. But the machine spirit is angry with being touched by the xenos filth.
- Titus's armour?
- The front armour and left shoulder are totally destroyed. The new one will be made of carapace. The helmet and the cuisse will be patched. The machine spirit tolerates such damages. - The monotonous speech if the priest stopped for a second, - I dare say that the spirit likes its new owner. Your armour I have not checked yet, inquisitor.
- I see. We will stay here for few days. Request all needed supply from the governor. I trust you to maintain Ataraxis. Find weapons for Luisa and Titus. The policy toward the Astartes stayed the same.
- As you wish, inquisitor. Ataraxis needs more men for engine and steering departments. An accident took place and one body is exploited by age.
- Proceed. I will check the recruits later. Return to your duty, Mechanicus.
- Omnissiah be praised, - the bald head bowed a little and the priest turned from him. One more talk before he can rest. Sebastian prepared himself.

- Inquisitor, - he stood in the middle of the craft in which Jacob had been sent to hospital. The grey robe was clean - the servitor took care of the wounds. His holstered knife laid on the seat.
- You have fought well, Titus.
- You gave me a decent foe, inquisitor, - the ancient creature looked into his eyes: Sebastian saw a satisfaction of an artisan with the well-done work. Titus obviously didn't care for being a prisoner and for being praised by his capturer either. How many times has he been in similar position during his protracted life? He felt that the Astartes was struggling with his emotions and got ready to kill the giant.
- Thank you for returning the knife, - murmured Titus.
- Point it on His enemies, - answered surprised Sebastian, - the xenos were not my target. A found tumor to cut out on the way. The possible treason and witchcraft are in the progress in this system, - the Astartes' face stayed still, - we will come back to Abderra soon. I'm returning this too.
Sebastian put the pouch on the seat and left the craft. Gates to the box closed behind him.

Titus has been resting. Since the fights in under-hive he hasn't been pushed so hard. The Astartes told Sebastian the truth - he survived only because of recklessness of the xenos. But to beat so many strong enemies in one night - that was something. He enjoyed himself and got hungry. Titus wanted more challenges. The inquisitor returned his pouch. He tossed it up several times. Nothing changed - he still was an outsider and a prisoner; he was just let to play around outside. When the gates got opened, the pouch was hanging on his neck. Sebastian wore the same over-coat he's seen the psyker at his first meeting, now it was all buttoned up. Tapio was in an old loose coat, which might be green many years ago. The third person was a young-looking tan man with dark long hair covering shoulders wearing a grey robe, exact copy to his own. According to the small itching in the head, when the stranger showed up, he was a psyker too. Probably the second acolyte, Pison. The man looked at him emotionlessly and came aboard after his mentor.
- Take this, - the sniper instead of his long riffle held a vox-device. The hunchback let him ahead and closed the hatch, cutting off the sound of siren. The compartment was empty, psykers were in the cockpit. This flyer had no special belt for him, so Titus just held tight for the seats.
- Vox testing, - Sebastian voice emerged inside his hood, - inquisitor Sebastian here.
- Pison is here, master, - the voice told the real age of the lean psyker.
- Tapio is ready, master.
- Titus is ready, inquisitor, - responded the Astartes.
- We are going to Abderra Prime, the capital city. - Sebastian started briefing, - they are celebrating today, so we will see the crowd, and the crowd won't see us. Undercover operation, authority will provide a full disguise. Be vigilant, for His enemies hide among the righteous.
- Yes, inquisitor, - they all answered as one. Titus smirked under his hood: something in his very core just loves to feel being a part of something bigger: a kill-team, a squad, a company. A legion.
- Titus, no battle is expecting - the voice of Sebastian returned to his head, - your goal is to notice anything suspicious and immediately report it. Turn off the vox and I will kill you. If you stay alone with anybody, hide your origin. - He thumped the vox in his ear with his finger in response. - The road to redemption is a life-long way. Don't mistake the first step for a big achievement.
- Here, - Tapio twitched and produced a las-pistol, - the master said to give it to you.

The vessel landed. Tapio was told to open the hatch and both psykers went into compartment. A human came in and bowed to Sebastian.
- Welcome to Abderra city. If the lord permits, - the man in clerk outfit but with a face and statue of a veteran, stepped closer and point a small device on the inquisitor's hand, freed from the sleeve. Then he did the same to Pison and Tapio alike. The Astartes was next. Titus rolled up a sleeve and stretched out his mighty hand. The human nervously set up his device and branded his arm with some code consisted from letters and numbers. - It will fade away in several days, my lord. Please, your transport is ready.
They left the flyer, landed at some production district. A civil aircraft stood alone; a bit tight for him. The new vessel took off and flew over the enormous city: grey rockcrete rock on the red surface of the planet; from his window Titus could see one edge of Abderra Prime, the whole space till the horizon was occupied with buildings; living and working areas were not separated, rather mixed and melted; few stood out structures dominated the landscape such as an imperial palace, an arbiters' fortress, a cathedral. The flyer took them towards the very center of the city.
- Many ogryns work in the mines here, so you won't be that much outstanding, - Sebastian told him mentally when the flyer grounded softly, - the populace didn't see a real space marine.
They went out and the festive hubbub surrounded them. The flyer stood between massive living blocks, but no eyes looked at them. Sebastian led them along the narrow street, washed and cleaned; the noise was getting louder. A big boulevard was visible ahead of them, like a spring of light squeezed between stones. Titus noticed a couple faces behind small windows, that darted away when he raised his hood to them. A servo-skull met them.
- Identify yourselves, citizens, - the automate flew close to them before they left the alley, - identify yourselves, citizens.
- We are all loyal servants of the Emperor, - declared Sebastian, showing his branded arm to the servitor. The skull hardly listened to him, it just scanned the code with its lenses and moved to Pison. Titus showed his arm too: so close to planetary authority he has been for the first time. The satisfied servitor flew away and they stepped into the light and unbounded noise.
- The God-Emperor be praised! Grant the peace and prosperity to Abderra! - loud speakers filled the air with joyous chants. He never saw so much peaceful people at on place: pedestrian areas were crammed with the cheerful crowd; humans slowly and idly walking in pairs and groups, laughing and smiling. The broad road was filled with marching columns: now it was miners holding ancient pickaxes, drills or lanterns; they were singing; further up the way he saw a red formation of guardsmen, but couldn't hear their voices. Banners and pennant covered facades; big monuments split the road.
- Moving toward the palace, - Sebastian turned right and they joined slow torrents of humans. It was irritating to move at so slow speed, he made a quarter of pace at the best. Titus soothed himself down, it was a reconnaissance deployment after all. He noticed that majority of people were wearing the fresh and clean cloth, but their palms were covered with black dirt. They moved against the parade and it was the Red Champions who were singing now. The guardians promised to brothers-miners to protect Abderra and their beloved ones from the horrors of the space night, while they working in the night of underground. Now Titus could see the statue well. It was a giant in armour crowned with a halo and with a mining drill in his hands. Besides the strange equipment it was a common image of the Emperor: perfectness, patriarchal strictness and all-overwhelming might. Light-yellow stone the statue was made of was sparkless, but the hands of the ruler of mankind were smirked in black up to elbows. Titus noticed some arbiters whose visors were turning to them too often. They were checking codes on arms of passing by humans, those codes must have been permanent. One woman held out her baby's little hand and it was scanned too. People readily proved their alliance and went further. On Olynthum T humans never smiled to arbiters.
- Identify yourselves, citizens, - ordered the armoured man. His two comrades stayed alert holding activated clubs. They had all reasons to be nervous. If Sebastian looked like a wealthy clerk with his servants, the Astartes looked at least suspiciously. Ogryns don't move the way he did and don't wear such cloaks as usual.
- You may go, citizens, - the arbiter scanned their codes.
- Thank you, for your service, - answered the inquisitor, - let the Emperor be with you.
Sebastian took them to alleys couple time and they went over to another side of the road when the opportunity arose, probably, he felt something and checked it. He, Titus, noticed nothing. A lonely human was occupying the road between marching masses. He stood in a small ancient mining trolley pulled by a mechanic horse. He had a huge burning candle atop his bald head; same candles crowned several servo-skulls flying around him. His one skinny hand swung a pickaxe, the other was replaced with a high flaming torch.
- The Emperor be praised! He is our savior and protector! - the man opened his mouth but could be heard of course only through a dynamic hanged at his body and the ones held by the flying skulls. - The Emperor was a miner on the holy Terra, just like you. He dug into the cradle of mankind and produced coal to give people the light and heat. With the blackened hand He showed us our path and destiny in the galaxy. He produced oar and made his fleet and mighty army and conquered the space, so we all, here on Abderra, could live in peace. Celebrate the Coal Day! Thank Him for this holiday, for tomorrow He expects you fulfill your duty with eagerness and gratefulness. The Emperor protects!
- The Emperor protects! - the crowd cheered back. Titus noticed how the grim Tapio's face got softer, lips curled to something resembling a smile. They moved for two more hours, seeing the same: cheerful humans with black palms, energetically marching columns of civilians and military alike, the Ministorum preachers and images of the Emperor-miner.
- We will split up here, - announced Sebastian, - Tapio take Titus and go North-East, we will meet at the governor palace in four Terran hours. Be vigilante!
- Yes, master, - answered the man. The hunchback led him through the human torrents. They've been stopped twice by the arbiters but besides those accidents, they just strolled along. Tapio turned his head and started to wade through the crowd to the building facing the main road. Titus followed him, trying to figure out what did the man see.
- Happy Coal Day! - the agent of the holy Inquisition brought them to a street vender. An old dim glass was washed and polished. A small image of the Emperor-miner stood in the window. A thump of a man was sitting inside on a cushion. - Lost both legs in the mine, love this holiday nevertheless. How can I serve, friends?
- A couple pints of you best, citizen, - Tapio put through a hole a low-level coin on the counter, - keep the change.
- Thank you, buddy, - the cheapest prosthetic arm gave the sniper a tin cup, - a bigger one for your tough friend.
- Thanks, - Titus took grabbed a bigger container still looking like too small in his palm. They stepped aside, letting the next customer to chase away the thirst of the hot day with a cold drink.
- That's good, - Tapio sipped his cup.
- Not bad, - he drank it on one gulp. This sniper was a strange one, but not unique. Titus seen such warriors in plenty, those, who lost everything. And everybody.
- Hold it till we meet a trash can. Littering is a severe crime here. - Tapio moved forward. Humans let him through eagerly - a fellow-man who enjoying his drink at the holiday.
- You know, it's not true, - Titus said to him, when they checked an empty alley after some time. He didn't want to mock the hunchback or to chat with him. Words just slipped out. - I doubt the Emperor held a pickaxe a day in his life. Let alone mining in person.
- Doesn't matter, - Tapio's lenses looked at him. No zealous anger no offended piety, - at my homeworld the God-Emperor was portrayed as a hunter, who feed whole mankind. The Emperor, one and only, granted to all these people a day to enjoy. Even if it's only one in the whole year, look at them, - he turned to the noisy road, - they laugh, they walk, enjoy themselves and their beloved ones.
- A rare sight, - Titus agreed.
- I've seen other options, - Tapio raised his voice a little and pointed his finger at the festival, - that's what I fight for. People deserve such days. As much as possible. My family had none.
- What happen?
- Orks, - the man said in steady voice, but his body trembled with hatred.
- I've fought those, - Titus enjoyed purging the xenos on their territory. That was a good enemy to exercise on. To see what wreck these savages make to the Imperial lands was another thing. - Next time I met one I'll kill him for your dead, - the familiar words busted out themselves.
- I kill for the living, - Tapio answered not knowing what memories he has evoked in his companion, - dead are gone. Let's go, can't make the master wait.

- Stop, - Titus froze calling Tapio. People passed him by, giving him a worried look. A servo-skull flew their direction. They have walked one more hour and he felt a pain out of nowhere.
- Is it psychic? - asked Sebastian through the vox.
- Yes, and it's rising vigorously, - he greeted teeth. - I can't describe the feeling, but something going one.
- Find the source, Tapio cover him, we are going your way.
- There, - Titus found the direction stepping around. They run to the beacon of pain a soon as the arbiters checked their strangely behaving couple. Whatever the codes said, they were released without questions. Growing gain leading him out of the main street into the narrow alleys of living blocks. It was like a thick cloud filled with water gathered above him. When the psychic energy grabbed him so tightly, he thought he would die thanks to the damned conductor, it got a bit easier. He had an image of a cracked dam, letting the water out in small jets. And then "the water" broke through knocking his brain off its legs. Tapio caught him only to fall atop.
- Who got this ogryn drunk? Let them be, it's the Coal Day, - grunt and laughter surrounded them. Fortunately, their agitated behavior cleared the space around them, and nobody was crushed by the Astartes.
- A big psychic blast, - as soon as he came back to his senses, Titus reported to the inquisitor.
- A physical one too, - Tapio stood still watching a small smoke in couple blocks away, - close to us, on north-north-east.
- Investigate! - ordered Sebastian, - show who you are if it's needed.
- Yes, master, - they run to the explosion. Few humans heard pieces of their chat and stretched their necks to see the smoke, but didn't raise panic.
- The Inquisition! What's going on, arbiters? - demanded Tapio when they meet three keepers of the law holding a scared woman, trying to escape the alley, which lead to the smoke.
- She said there was an explosion, - reported the man immediately. Nobody used the name of the holy organization loosely in the Imperium, - and she is telling about witchcraft, lord.
- It's there, run for your lives, save yourselves, - the bewildered woman warned them, but when she saw, that nobody ran immediately she tried to break free, - let me go!
- Take her away! One of you must hold this alley, do not let civilians come in. Warn others that the Inquisition here, - Tapio swiftly instructed arbiters and they came further. The explosion took place in the heart of living area, separated from the celebrating crowd by a knot of narrow alleys. Considering the deafening hum of the parade, here could be gun fight going on right now and nobody would notice.
- It's inside! - an aged man ran out of the building, pointing behind.
- Get out, now! - they needed no direction - several windows were blown away at thirty sixth floor. Two were scorched.
- My wife is there! - the man turned around and ran back.
- Identify yourselves! - three arbiters came to the courtyard from the opposite direction. They pointed their shotguns at them. - hey you, freeze where you are!
- We are agents of the holy Inquisition, - Tapio turned to the newcomers showing his hands. Titus did the same reluctantly, - your superiors have been informed. Get out!
- Stand still! We had no such information, prove yourselves or get killed in the name of the Law, - one arbiter stood still aiming at them, while two others were stepping to them carefully from both sides.
- Here is your prove, - growled Titus, looking up.
- The God-Emperor, save me! - whined the standing arbiter and lowered his gun, not knowing what to do next.
- It's a possessed, master! - immediately reported sniper with no trace of fear or surprise.
- We are coming! Titus, protect Tapio!
- Yes! - he produced the las-pistol, which probably will be useless. He forgot about arbiters, who were staring in horror at the figure above. A naked four-year-old boy floated from the window and hovered motionless. It flew stomach up, head and limbs hanging loose. Small twisted body was occupied by a spirit. Titus had few encounters with those entities of the warp. He wished he had none. The unnatural scene made him wonder, does his psy-conductor make him an easier prey to the predators of the Empyrean.
- Die! Die! - one arbiter produced a las-pistol and opened fire. He shook with fear but hit the target. But the man only attracted attention of the unnatural beast. The baby has gone long ago. Tapio showed his own gun, a las-pistol too, but wrapped in parchments with crimson seals, the hunchback poured some liquid from a little bottle over his gun and started to pray, lips to the weapon. Titus hoped it would work. Meanwhile the possessed dived on the arbiter who was firing at it. The Astartes shot the small body, but it didn't react. The wretched child hit the man at high speed turning him apart in a moment. Two others ran away from such scene. Titus saw what exactly happen: the body glowed like a power weapon and the human flesh got ripped away from it like dust from the wind. That's bad. The possessed darted after running arbiters. The one who ran further dropped face down, he just didn't have a face anymore - his helmet got crumpled like the tin cup he had squeezed earlier. The last human turned around screaming for help. His visor headed him. Titus shot the monster, piercing small body but not slowing the warp creature at all.
- Save me! Please, hel... - a wheeled bike came from nowhere and smashed the human away. So, the possessed could do this too.
- Titus, - he didn't know the language in his mind but somehow understood the meaning. The scorched and scratched body of the boy slowly approaching him upside down, - now we can talk without distractions. The human behind you spending his time in vain. Just as you keep firing this thing in your hand. Your big strong hand.
- What do you want, spirit? - he asked aloud, lowering the useless weapon. The body would be so close soon, that he could hit it with his fist.
- You, Astartes. Your strong stout body. Let me in, let me help you. Titus Livius will never hide from anybody ever. You will be free.
- I will not be your slave, warp scum! - he hit the naked back with his fist, but it stopped in a millimeter. Titus got lifted up for several meters and tossed down hard.
- Fool, - said the voice in his head, ringing after the falling. He was in the air again. Unfamiliar feeling of defenselessness hurt more than the actual pain.
- By His will I will banish you from this world, - Tapio opened eyes and pointed his pistol at the possessed. The man fired and the ordinary las bean hit the small body, leaving and ordinary scorch. But the kid opened his mouth and let go an inhuman scream. Titus dropped down and turned to Tapio, who kept shooting the demon, which body started to crumble: the head and both legs fell off, partly turning to ashes. Small hand stretched to the hunchback and the pistol flew away from his grip. Titus ran to Tapio, not knowing what he would do, but the rest of the child's body fell down before disarmed sniper. It smoked and showed no blood.
- How did you do it? - he asked the man.
- I did nothing. My faith did everything. Master, the possessed banished, its remnants are here.
- Well done. We are almost there. Do not pick up the gun, Tapio.
- Yes, master, - he looked at Titus, the man looked normal, that faith of him didn't take much. Who was that humble man and that inquisitor to deal with the spirits so easily? - I will inform the tenants, that it's over.

Sebastian and Pison emerged soon as promised. They brought few arbiters, who started to pick their dead brethren together.
- You have fought well, Tapio, - the inquisitor repeated his praise and turned to him, - Titus, pick up the pistol.
- Yes, - he went for the laying gun, wondering what kind of test it was. He felt all three men staring at him. Titus grabbed the weapon with no hesitation and came back to humans. Psykers showed no emotion, Tapio looked a little glad.
- Good, - Sebastian nodded and addressed the arbiters, - guard the alleys and the living building, do not look this way!
- Yes, my lord, - men answered in choir.
- Pison, begin, - ordered the inquisitor. His acolyte bowed and made an Aquila sign with his gloved hand. The man knelt before the biggest piece of the corpse, produced couple cords from his robe and tossed away the hair showing his neck. It was filled with different dots and sockets, Pison put in the chords in his body and prepared to insert the other ends into the corrupted flesh before him. When the psyker did so, Titus felt nothing, but the man definitely wasn't having the easy time: face wrinkled and grimaced intensively; eyes moved under the eyelids; the sweat appeared. Finally, Pison shrieked and tumbled to one side.
- Come back, acolyte! - Sebastian was at him, pulling off the cords from the blackened remnants.
- Not related, - Pison opened his eyes and sat up, - I saw no connection to our operation, mentor.
- An accident then, - stated Sebastian. - Is it worth a place in my collection?
- No, - Pison shook his head, - it made a wreck but it is nothing.
- That thing knew my name, if it helps, - added Titus.
- It means nothing, - Sebastian turned to the acolyte, - Stay here, look to its proper destruction. I will send a ship for you.
- Yes, master. - Pison put away his cords, looking at the broken flesh. Titus saw no compassion or sadness towards the unhappy child in the psyker's eyes. He had none too - this was a burden of their kind. Both the inquisitor and his pupil could have ended similarly many times. The child just wasn't lucky enough. Tapio, who fearlessly fought the possessed and saved his life, now when it was over looked low-spirited and grimmer than usual. The happy faces of thousands, who didn't know about the dangerous tragedy took place just behind them, didn't please the hunchback anymore.
- Melancholy is unacceptable during the operation, Tapio, - strictly warned Sebastian.
- I'm sorry, master. Just the kid. Dead grown people stopped bothering me, but children.
- You stopped his torture and saved many others from the same fate, - cut him off the inquisitor, - that's what we can do in the most cases. Today we have a rare opportunity to strike first. Get a grip on yourself, Tapio.
- Yes, master. I'm sorry. Ready to serve, - with every word the man looked more and more collected.

The festival continued as well as their search.
- I felt some kind of psychic echo, - Titus warned his companions, - very weak, but it is here.
- Get used to it, - Sebastian calmed him down, - the governor palace is near, there are many active psykers.
- Can we change the direction, - after some time he again broke the silence, - I have a feeling we are being watched, want to check it.
- Tapio? - Sebastian asked the man, who shrugged. - We shall do so.
They used the overhead passage, took a moment to look at the vast city. The climax of the festival has passed, the sun getting lower, but Abderra Prime kept humming joyously. Titus led them through small alleys and minor streets, then they came back to the main road and changed the side again.
- We are being followed, - stated Titus, - and not by servo-skulls or pict-recorders.
- I feel nothing, - answered Sebastian, - what do you propose?
- Split up, lure them out. They may dare to attack one of us if we will be alone, especially in some empty corner.
- They will kill us one by one then, - Sebastian got silent for few steps, - see that statue? Do not go further, Titus. We will go after you soon.
- I'll be on the vox all the time, master, - the last word came out hard, but the inquisitor heard him - the Astartes remembered his orders. Sebastian and Tapio went into some crowded public place, and he went on alone. He got used to the human masses and didn't feel out of place now. He even let some drunk miner to slap him on the shoulder. The clumsy jump was met by approving laugh from the man's company. Soon the feeling returned. Titus passed couple blocks and turned into the alley, acting like he was searching for something. At some empty square squeezed between living blocks his plan succeeded.
- Identify yourself, citizen! - Titus had to step aside to see the addresser who was blocked by a monument to some miner on a massive pedestal, surrounded by stone benches.
- I have my code here, - Titus raised his hand, showing the brand. He added in whisper, - do you read?
- Yes, - responded Sebastian.
- Identify yourself, citizen! - repeated the same maw in lifeless tone of a servitor. A mechanic dog stepped towards him. The big steel body would knock him off, the metal was scratched and moved noiselessly - the thing was frequently used and took care of. The speaking head was fully artificial, three lenses glowed green. The second head was built around a skull of some animal - way too big to be an ancient Terran dog. One hind leg was made of thick yellow bones too, wrapped with cords and cables.
- Here is my code, it had been checked numerously today, - Titus stood legs apart, preparing for the charge of the mechanic beast, which kept approaching and ignoring his compliance. He felt no others enemies.
- Identify yourself, citizen! - the dog sped up.
- Here is my damned code! - Titus caught the machine in its leap in the air for the front legs and swung around himself. The dog flew away and crushed the bench, leaving its forearms in his hands. He tossed paws away and stepped back, who knows what weapons the servitor could have in it. But so far, the dog failed to stand up, kicking the air with the left limbs. A las-bean pierced his robe and scorched the skin. Titus jumped aside avoiding next shots and fired back - two civilians dropped dead at the far corner of the square. - One battle servitor down and two men are dead.
- We are coming, - answered Sebastian.
- In the name of the God-Emperor, drop your gun! - an aged man addressed him through the loud speaker. The human dropped the robe demonstrating his authority: a red power armour shined, trimmed with gold and gems; a massive chain was filled with all kind of jewelry, among which a gold insignia "I" was the biggest; a bolt-pistol was holstered and a power sword sheathed. Another inquisitor then. The man alone wasn't a reason to surrender: he was a powerful psyker, but the pistol was already in Titus's hand. But his servants were: six men pointed pistols at him from different angles. All looking just like the rest of celebrating Abderra's populace, some hands holding the guns were blackened. But eyes and grips were hard. Titus tossed away his gun.
- I defended myself and I've got a code, - he raised his hands, letting the sleeves to slide down.
- Yeah, we've got those too, - smirked the man. He was below average height, bald and wrinkled, eyebrows were white. - so, who are you? Killing my men so easily.
- A passing by ogryn, - smirked back Titus. He knew that man recognized him as an Astartes. Sebastian would cover that fact. If the new inquisitor would know his legion - he'll be killed faster than that mechanic dog.
- I have no time for this, - tiredly said the man and Titus felt the light touch to his mind. Pickpocket would have the same gentle hand. Suddenly his mind was covered with a thick lid cap.
- Then don't waste it on my man, brother. - Sebastian came into the square, he opened his coat, so his plain lorica musculata identified himself as member of the Inquisition as well as the rich armour of his colleague. Tapio stepped behind holding his wrapped-up pistol down. - I am Sebastian Silver from Ordo Malleus.
- A cousin then. I welcome you; my name is Kacper Balik, Ordo Xenos, - the man made a gesture and his men put away their guns, Titus noticed, some did it reluctantly and looked at him angrily - he must have killed their comrades. Foolish. If you wield a weapon, sooner or later you will be killed by weapon. The Astartes understood the Xenos part, but what was that malleus? - It is a black day, servants of the Emperor killing each other by the accident.
- A black day indeed, sorry for your loss, - Sebastian and Kacper met close to Titus, who has already picked up his pistol and put on the hood back, - I heard the transmission, the servitor attacked unprovoked, ignoring the compliance of my man.
- The dog doesn't care for the codes and all this, Sebastian, - the aged man looked straight at his capturer, but his words were addressed to him, - it's DNA the servitor is after. Especially, Non-human origin or mutated.
- Titus is my man, - simply repeated Sebastian. - He fought the Aeldari couple days before hand-to-hand, was wounded. No wonder some alien DNA might left on him.
- Indeed, - Kacper didn't hide his skepticism, - so it was you who purged the xenos from Abdera. That's why the reports were so controversial. I am glad you did it before we came here. Every extra day of those filthy freaks offends the Emperor and laughs at the Imperium. Thank you, inquisitor.
- I live to serve Him, every enemy of His is mine.
- As to any of us. I dare to suggest you are here by your Ordo's activity. If so and I or my men can serve - I shall help eagerly. As long as we stationed in this system. My ship is Chasseur - call for it and I will answer.
- I appreciate your offer and thankful for it. The call will come from Ataraxis, - both inquisitors bowed to each other, while two killed men were taken away.
- What happen to the dog? - Titus heard stomping and now saw the source. A bulky figure, next to which he looked small himself, came out of an alley accompanied by a man hidden under cloth. The ogryn wore the miner's outfit but his thick skin was too clean for his kin working underground and scars were battle related. His ran to the laying servitor, stretching out his hands and whimpering, - the dog is broken! Who did this?!
- The ones who disobey the all-loving Emperor, Mischek, - said the robed man in an artificial voice.
- But why? - the giant looked at the servitor in amaze.
- Because the dog has served well the God-Emperor and those who don't broke it because of jealousy, - Kacper pad the ogryn on the forearm, - but good Enzo will fix it, right?
- Yes, master, - the robed figure pointed with mechanic hand at the servitor - the dog stopped moving, lenses went out. - Mischek pick it up, we will bring the dog back to the Emperor's light.
- What kind of servants does not beloved Emperor send to us, Sebastian? - the new inquisitor nodded to the psyker, - I will pray to Him to seal our acquaintance with blood of His enemies.
- Let Him guide us! - answered Sebastian, and they deserted the square. Soon the tenants will come home wondering, who dared to break the bench at the such beautiful day.