Hanabi

Flashback

Wednesday afternoon, around 6pm, a man wearing a plain white shirt paired with a jeans and sandals, is walking on a busy road with his head down. His hands are in his pocket, going somewhere he doesn't know.

After walking around for at least 15 minutes, his feet dragged him to the shore. He can feel the cold breeze brushing against his skin and the smell of the sea. He decided to sit down and looked at the sky. The moon showed itself and the stars are appearing one by one. The sky is slowly getting dark.

He got distracted when he heard a group of people laughing in a distance while playing with the fireworks.

"That would be nice.. laughing and playing without any worries." Boun chuckled. "How I wish I can do that too."

PREM'S POV

I was having a fun time with my friends when I saw a man sitting by the shore while looking at the sky. I stared at him for a moment before I talked to my friends.

"Guys! I'll go for now. Just text me when you decided to go home already." I grabbed my bag, some sparklers and a match then ran away.

I stopped and slowly walked towards the man I saw while holding the fireworks in my hand.

"He looks sad.."

I extended my hand and placed the sparklers in front of his face and that made him look at me confusingly.

"Play with me." I blurted out then smiled at him.

"Why would I?" He asked.

"Come on, let's play. You'll like it." I smiled at him once again and there he grabbed some of the sparklers from my hand.

I lit one and gave it to him. "Here." He softly smiled at me in return. He just looked at the lighted sparkler while smiling. I can't help but look at him and ask.

"What's your name?"
"Boun, and you?"
"I'm Prem."

After that, he smiled at me and started playing with the sparklers. I gave him more and I saw how he changed his expression. He's smiling brightly now unlike before where he looked like he has a lot of thoughts.

We enjoyed ourselves playing with the sparklers when I heard my phone receive a message.

Message from Sammy🌺:
'Oi pig! I don't know where you went but we'll go home now. Enjoy wherever you are.'

I chuckled when I saw her message. "Yeah, I'm enjoying myself now." I thought.

I turned my face and looked at Boun who is beside me.

"I don't see you often here. Where do you live?" I asked.

"I don't come out that much." Again, he gave me a faint smile.

"Do you like fireworks?" He asked and I nodded.

"Fireworks are beautiful, aren't they? When I see them up in the dark sky along with the stars, my heart melts." I answered.

"But fireworks are just beautiful in the beginning. After some time, it's beauty and life will end." He said and that made me confused.

I was thinking of what he told me when he suddenly stood and bid his goodbye. He walked fast that I couldn't even utter a word.

I looked at my phone, it's already 10:30 pm. We've talked for at least 4 hours.

I'm on my way home but I'm still thinking of what he said to me.
"What does he mean by that?"