Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

“Im home!” I called as I shut the door and tossed my bag on the floor. I walked down the hall and peeked my head into the kitchen. “Nate?” My brother looked up from his bowl of cereal. His hair was a mess and he was in his sweat pants looking like he just took a nap . I grinned, he always took naps in the middle of the day.

After he had realized it was me he turned back to his bowl and began shovelling cereal into his mouth. “don’t choke.” i commented with a smirk. He whipped his head up and gave me a dirty look,

“mumfhpd” he mumbled, his mouth full. He looked like an angry chipmunk! I started laughing and he began screaming profanities at me, his mouth still full of cereal .

“fruuhgh! Mph stugh blegadh!” Milk began streaming down his chin. I started banging my hand against the table, laughing my ass off. He finally realized his problem and swallowed the cereal.

“i hate you” he told me coldly with a hint of playfulness. I wiped my eyes from the tears that came from all the laughing and chuckled,

“love you too, bro”

He grunted and turned to the kitchen to wash the bowl. I decided to ask about  the birth certificate then . “soooooo... have you, by any chance, seen my birth certificate recently?” I asked, trying my best to sound innocent. He stopped, looking thoughtful. Witch he didn’t do very often might I add.

“last time i saw it, it was with mom and dad” i said. I frowned,

“oh.” it could be anywhere! This sucks..

“probably in dad's office though he keeps our records there.” he said, drying his hands. I jumped up, i have hope! I grinned and gave him a quick hug as i bolted up the stairs

“thanks bro!” i called from behind my shoulder.

When i reached the door to my dad's office i slowly pushed it open. I hadn’t been here since 7 years ago . It still looked the same. Nathan and me  couldn’t bring ourselves to move our parents thing.That’s why their room and dad’s office are exactly the same; not a thing moved since seven years ago .

 His huge mahogany desk sat in the middle, papers scattered across it. Piles of books overflowed his bookshelf and sat in the corner. His favourite leather jacket was even hanging on the chair. I breathed in heavily, the familiar sent of my dad still lingered.

I suddenly felt a wave of sadness wash over me tears threatening to explode  . They're dead. Gone. Never coming back . It seems like they could walk in the door at any moment, laughing and calling our names, but they won’t .I learned that years ago .It's been seven years, yet it feels like it’s only been a week. The wound of them gone still bleeding.

A stray tear broke through my barrier and slid down my cheek. I'd vowed not to cry over them again after spending a year of my life in depression, crying every night. I wiped away the tear furiously. I had not come here to cry, i was here on a mission. Playing the theme song for mission impossible in my head, I began searching through the papers on the desk.

I'd been at in for a half hour, its surprising how many meaningless work related papers my dad had. It might have been easier if was organized, but my mom was the organized one out of the two . Nathan got that lack of organization and laziness from my dad, he can’t even think in future tense. Not that I’m a neat freak. I just hate when i have to spend hours looking for stuff so I keep my stuff organized!

I sighed and looked around the room. Where would he keep it? My gaze fell on a black metal box. The filing cabinet! I rushed over to it and pulled open the door. I remember my parents putting all my and Nathan's report cards in there. I scanned the files until i found the one i was looking for, there was a tab that read “Vanessa” in my dad's messy scrawl.