He's Right Where I Should, Where I Should Be

By the time I arrived at Corner Brew for my evening muffins, Bradley had changed his mind about the laundry. He found out the men he was going out with were bringing their wives or girlfriends. Instead of laundry, I now have to go to out with a bunch of men and women I don't know. To say I was irked would be an understatement.

I saw my box of chocolate chip and blueberry muffins sitting on the back counter with my name on it. Hank wasn't at the front, instead a young girl who looked to be just out of high school stood behind the cash register.

"The box behind the counter," I said when I go to the front, pointing to it. And as an afterthought added, "Please."

The girl looked confused for a second, looking down at the counter in front of her before turning around. I pursed my lips at her air-headedness.  After grabbing the box, she set it between us and rung up the total.

"That'll be $10.86.

I got my card out of the little pocket on the back of my phone before hastily putting it on the counter.

"You good, KW?" Hank asked as he walked out of the back.

"Yeah, I'm okay." I attempted to smile at him but I'm pretty sure it looked more like a grimace.

"You know you can talk to me."

I grabbed the box off the counter once she returned my card. "I know, Hank," I said, wishing I could talk to him without having to worry about Bradley.

He gave me a sad smile as I walked out of the coffee shop as if reading my thoughts. I walked the five minutes home, trying to ignore the tightness in my chest. The apartment was empty which meant Bradley was going to be right behind me, if he remembered I was coming tonight.

After setting the box of muffins on the table, I change into a more comfortable outfit. Dark jeans and an oversized grey sweater. My brightly colored earrings came off and I exchanged them for a pair of silver hoops. I pulled my hair back, pulling a few strands out to frame my face right as I heard the door open.

"Are you ready?" Bradley yelled. "Everyone else is already heading over there, so we need to leave now."

I grabbed my purse and slipped on a pair of black ankle boots before walking to the living room. Bradley looked me up and down, an unimpressed look on his face but he didn't say anything.

The ride over was quiet, other than the cabbie's music. A part of me wished Bradley would say something, like he was glad I was going. The larger part of me was grateful for the silence even if it was an edged one.

The restaurant we arrived at was fairly nice, nothing like the bar I was at the other night. As we made our way to our table, I felt a little undressed. I understood now why Bradley didn't look to happy about my outfit.

"Hey, sorry we're late," Bradley said as we sit down. The table's for eight. Sitting down was three other couples ranging from late twenties to late thirties. They looked happy. I wonder if I looked like that. Bradley gestured to me. "This is my girlfriend, Kimber."

They introduced themselves but because of my self-consciousness and overwhelming desire to not be at this dinner, I completely forgot them.

"Guess what," the lady who I thoughts name was Jess said. "I just found this home décor store and it is so cute."

I tried to pay attention to the conversation but for some reason, I couldn't help still feeling irked. I did not want to be here. I found my eyes wondering the room before they landed on a familiar pair of green eyes. His hair was messed about and he wore a pair of black slacks with a white button up. Color rushed to my cheeks and I immediately looked away, praying Aiden would not come over.

"Yes, and I found this really cute vase that's supposed to look antique-."

The conversation once again didn't hold my interest and I found myself locking eyes with him again. A slight smirk tugged at his lips and he nodded his head in amusement. My eyes widened and I subtly glanced at Bradley beside me who had no idea the handsome man across the room was looking at me.

I glanced back over at him, noticing he was at the table with a man. His back was turned to me and I couldn't see his face. My eyes found Aiden's again but I averted them.

My phone buzzed and I checked it under the table.

Are you ignoring me, Kimber?

Please don't come over here

I won't if you don't want me to

Is that your boyfriend?

Yes

There was a pause before his next response.

You said he was a prick, right?

Care to elaborate why?

I lightly smile at his bluntness.

Not at the moment. Maybe later

When we meet again at a bar?

Sure

Bradley placed his arm around my chair, rubbing his hand up and down my arm. I stiffened at the touch but didn't move away from it. If I did and his business friends saw, he would pitch a fit when we got home.

My eyes again find Aiden's only to find him staring at else. Bradley's hand. They flick back up to me and I'm surprised to see curiosity and concern there. Swallowing thickly, I look away, busying myself with the fascinating stories of the housewives in front of me.