Chapter 3: Lunchroom Trouble

(Kayla ^^)
I couldn't think at all in my morning classes. My mind went from Luca, to Derek, back to Luca. The feeling of Luca's hand grasping mine felt so comforting and if felt so right.
The guy I've had a crush since freshman year was actually pretending to be my boyfriend. I didn't like to think he was pretending, though.
"Samantha Lexington!" My teacher screamed.
"Uh yeah?" I asked, falling out of my daze.
"Meet me after class." She growled.
Everyone began to snicker and some even said "ooo" like they were first graders.
I looked down at my books and I began to fidget with my hands.
The end of class came quickly and I remained in my seat while everyone else ran off to their homerooms.
"Samantha, please come here." Mrs. Steward said.
Slowly, I rose from my seat and made my way to her desk.
"Samantha, what is wrong?" She asked.
I looked up at her surprised, imagining her giving me a detention and a really long lecture.
"I- I..." I began to stutter.
"You always listen in my class and your one of my excellent students. Whats been bugging you?" She asked again.
"I just had a rough weekend." I responded.
"Don't let those terrible moments get to you." She informed me.
"Yeah." I mumbled.
"I'm going to let you off easy, Samantha, but next time, I won't. You may go." She sighed.
"Thanks, Mrs. Steward." I whispered before scurrying off.
No one was in the hallway, so I had no difficulty getting to homeroom. When I entered the room, the teenagers in there were in groups, laughing at their stupid jokes or doing homework.
I took my seat right in front of Luca and I pulled out some of homework. Luca was busy talking to his friends, so he didn't see me enter the room until he turned back around.
"Sam, where were you?" He asked concerned.
"No where." I grumbled.
I didn't even have time to start a problem on my math homework when the bell rang for our period of lunch. Sighing, I put away my math and pulled myself out of my seat.
My steps were longer then everyone else's and I didn't want to deal with anyone.
When I entered the lunchroom, no one was there.
Quickly, I got my lunch and paid for it before the big crowd came.
Kayla came bursting through the lunchroom, looking frantic.
"Sam!" She screamed before racing to my table.
I looked at her and then I went back to my sandwich.
"Sam, what's wrong?" She asked me while sitting down.
She then plucked a chip out of my bag and munched away.
"Mrs. Steward got mad at me and I honestly don't like pretending to be Luca's girlfriend. I actually want to be his girlfriend." I whispered.
Tears threatened to spill out of my eyes as I stared at my food.
"Aww, honey. It's okay." She whispered while giving me a hug.
We sat like this until the only person I didn't want came to our table.
"So, where's your boyfriend, Sammy?" Derek asked, "Why aren't you crying on his shoulder?"
My eyes fogged up and I looked away.
"Why don't you go somewhere else, you walking disease?" Kayla hissed.
"Aww, your little girlfriend is sticking up for you." Derek cooed.
"Up yours, asshole." Kayla yelled.
The lunchroom started to get quiet, but it didn't last long.
"Feisty girlfriend you got there, babe." Derek laughed.
"You're such a perv." Kayla told him.
"Is that the best you could do?" He asked, looking bored.
I sat up and I was about to say something when Derek staggered backwards. He was punched and I couldn't see who did it until the person turned around.
Luca came walking towards Kayla and I with anger in his eyes.
"Are you okay?" He asked.
He then was turned around and Derek punched him in the cheek. The boys began to fight, throwing punches and kicks.
Everyone in the cafeteria exploded into shouts and cheers.
"Stop it! Both of you!" I screamed, but my cries went unheard.
I finally couldn't take it and I jumped into the fight, but it ended up being ugly.
Right when I was about to pull the two boys apart, a fist collided with my cheek and I stumbled to the ground. A harsh pain throbbed in my face and I sat on the floor caressing my cheek.
The cheers then stopped and loud footsteps came towards us.
"Derek, Luca, and Samantha, follow me." The principal roared.
Luca helped me to my feet and we followed the principal with Derek staggering behind us.
"I'm sorry, Sam." Luca whispered to me.
I just shrugged and continued to hold my cheek.
We then made a left into the principal's office. I took the seat in the middle and Luca sat on my right while Derek sat on my left.
The principal just stared at us until he finally said, "What happened?"
"I was minding my own business until Luca came attacking me like a crazy man." Derek said.
"You liar!" I growled.
"Samantha Lexington!" The principal yelled.
"Sir, he's not telling the truth! He started harassing me and Kayla Bettings until Luca came to the rescue and told him to stop. That's when the fight started to happen." I explained.
The principal just stared at me until he turned his attention to Luca.
"Is that true, Mr. Steiner?" Principal asked.
"Yes, sir." Luca said calmly.
"Okay. Go get an ice pack for your cheek, Ms. Lexington." Mr. Warner told me.
Both me and Luca began to rise out of our seats before Mr. Warner stopped us.
"And report to detention today after school."
I was about to argue, but Luca spoke before I could.
"Okay, sir." He said before turning around.
I slowly followed him out of the office and I made my way down to the nurse's office. When I finally got my ice pack, I made my way down Junior hall. Luca followed me in silence all the way to my locker before he said a word.
"How's your cheek?" He asked.
"A little sore, but I'll survive." I respond.
"I'm sorry." He said again.
"Luca, you already apologized. You don't have to do it again." I told him annoyed.
"Yeah, well, this time it's for your cheek because I was the one who punched it." He said going quiet at the last part.
I looked away from my locker and I stared at him. His brown hair was covering his eyes and he was messing around with a bracelet on his right wrist.
All of a sudden, we heard claps echo behind us.
"And the boyfriend of the year goes to..." Derek commented.
"When will you stop?!" I yelled at him.
"Oh never, darling. Never." He laughed as he left us standing alone in the hallway staring at him.