A guest from the past

Lucas:

I got up the next morning and cleaned up. Then a went to the kitchen and switched on the coffeemachine. Mercy likes to drink black coffee in the morning.

Last night she was in a horrible mood and went to her room right after the dinner ended. I didn't get to speak to her even a bit. So I decided to get her some morning coffee and discuss her problems. I'm her husband. If she doesn't open up to ke, if she doesn't share her problems with me, then what's the use of me being there?

"Mercy." I called, knocking at her bedroom door.

"Come in." Came a sweet voice from within. Strange, this is the time she usually gets up at. But she sounded quite fresh.

I entered the room and saw Mercy in her office attire, getting ready to head out. And on the ashtray, there were several smoke buds.

Mercy doesn't smoke usually. Smoking is only a stress reliever for her. That too when the stress is of massive amount. To smoke today, something really big is bothering her.

"What's up?" She asked seeing me come in.

"I just felt you were quite down last night. Guess I was right." I said.

"A lot on my mind. But I have no time to discuss right now." She said checking herself in the mirror.

"You're going office, right now, on a Sunday?" I asked.

"Yup. I just have to fetch a few files. I wanna get started with the new company as soon as possible." She replied.

"What's so special about this new company that has you all worked up?" I asked again.

"We'll talk about that after I return, with the whole family." She said. "Right now I have to rush."

Mercy replied and rushed out. I followed as she said goodbye to everyone. To be honest, I'm really worried. Whatever happened, it must be something big, something that effects her from the very core. And it is connected to this new company of her's.

Third person:

The two old friends were playing chess, trying to beat each other for almost an hour now, yet nighter of them seemed to have any better chances at winning. Mercy had went out early morning to get a few files. She was surprisingly too giddy of this new company and couldn't wait for Monday or even for the clock to struck eight.

Soon, the other members of the family also horded into the hall. It was eight already and it would be breakfast time soon. They were just waiting for Mercy before heading for the dinner table.

Just then the guard outside informed them that people from Bonze family has waiting for a meeting outside.

"I don't remember scheduling a meeting with them. Even if they are free, I most certainly am not. Say them to schedule a meeting first." Thomas replied, his emotionless face for the first time showed feelings. To be more certain, it was obvious he was disgusted by that name.

Let alone the staff, even the family was disgusted by his reaction. Thomas Donavon was known to have an ice cold, emotionless face.  No matter how problematic the situation was, he would wear that cold face. To see him show emotions was a rare opportunity. Who were those people who garnered such a strong reaction to him?

The guard came back to his senses and rushed out to follow the orders but returned shortly after. "Sir, they say that they did try to schedule a meeting but they have to wait for six months for that meeting. And they have urgent matters to discuss with you. They can't wait that long."

"Am I their relative that I have to meet them just because they want to? Go, tell them I have nothing to discuss with those people." Thomas said clearly annoyed.

"Yes sir." The guard quickly scurried away but again returned shortly after.

"Sir, they said they won't leave if you don't talk to them. They can wait as long as you want. But they will meet you." The guard replied sheepishly.

A murderous intent flashed on Thomas's face. Those bastards. Seems like they want to court death too soon. So be it. Today, he will show scums exactly how below him they were.

"Let them in then. If they wanna die so bad, I'll fulfill their wishes gladly." He said, his voice promising disaster. "Rest if you," he said turning to Donavon and Montero families, "do not ask anything as long as the guests stays. We'll talk when Mercy returns."

Too many questions filled their brains, but before they could ask anything, Thomas signaled them to stay quiet. Though curious, they kept it in and waited for people who caused such an uproar even before entering to come in. But what greeted them blew their braibs of.

It was a family of four, husband, wife and a son and daughter. The couple were middle aged. But it wasn't that what caught their attention, it was the midfle aged woman that came along with them. Even though Mrs Donavon and the woman's age were similar, the woman looked far more aged than Mrs Donavon. She had a haggard appearance and dark circles below their eyes, visibly, that woman was having a bad time.

But if we remove that haggard look, and that messy appearance, wasn't that woman...

Wasn't that woman an older version of Mercy?

A/N: Sorry, I previously placed this chapter before the last one. But I've arranged it in order now.

Btw, although it's obvious, who do you think is the woman. Also, for next few chapters, it'll be about Mercy's past. The traumas she got in her childhood, how she adopted, etc. So stay tuned.

Second Chanceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें