Chapter 30- Aftermath

Start from the beginning

"I knew I shouldn't have left you this morning. I'm so sor-"  

Feyre stopped Rhys with a simple hand on his cheek. "You couldn't have known." 

Warning! Trigger for infertility/pregnancy loss

Rhys redirected his worry into frustration, looking to Verra. "Know what? What is wrong with her?" 

Verra pulled a stool to sit next to the cot. They had another chair for Rhys, but they should have know he would choose to be as close to Feyre as possible. 

Verra began what would be a very difficult conversation. 

"Feyre is experiencing what we call an outer-removed pregnancy." 

At that one word, Rhys and Feyre both went still as death. This was something they had hoped for, something they had longed for.

Verra swallowed the guilt and continued. 

"It is when the pregnancy attaches outside of the womb, in Feyre's case completely on the outer wall. If left to grow, it could cause blood loss, organ failure, and infertility." 

The high royalty said nothing. Rhys tightened his arm around Feyre, and she placed a hand over her abdomen. Silent tears, silver and bright, ran down Feyre's face. She were waiting for Verra to continue. 

"Feyre, I want to rehiterate." Verra paused, waiting for confirmation Feyre was listening. She nodded. Verra leaned foreward. 

"This is not a result of anything you have done. There is nothing wrong with you. You are still fertile and you are in perfect health otherwise. " 

Feyre took a shaky breath. "Then how did I..." She let out a small sob. "How did this happen?" 

Rhys buried his head in her shoulder, his shoulders shaking with a silent cry.

Verra loved working for the High Royalty. But they knew this would be the hardest part. Having to share news that would break them. 

"This is common in High Fae, Feyre. I have treated this in hundreds of people. We don't know why it happenes. Sometimes pregnancies simply are not viable." They said, noting how Rhys's shoulders continued to shake. 

"I know you both know this- children are precious. The road to a safe, vaible and healthy pregnancy is going to be full of moments like this." 

Feyre shook her head, her hand going to her mate's face, stroking his hair in any kind of comfort. 

"I just wanted this one thing." The High Lady said, her hand still at her belly. 

"This one joy to come simply." The honesty in her words tore Verra to shreds. 

So Verra offered an honest in return. "Children are the furthest thing from simplicity, My Lady."

The High Lady almost smiled. Rhys kept his head on her shoulder.

Feyre sat up, wiping her eyes. More tears rolled to replace them, but Feyre paid them no heed.

"So what are our next steps?" Her voice was broken, shaking, barely understandable. 

Verra had always admired Feyre for her strength. But they knew as soon as Verra left the room, Feyre would break. 

And that was okay. 

"So I'll need to go in and remove the pregnancy so it doesn't cause further damage. We'll need to do that as soon as possible." 

Now Rhy's head popped up, his arms still around Feyre. His eyes were red a swollen, his nose the same and he sniffled. "Are we talking about surgery?"