Chapter 3: Zoey

THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS STRONG VIOLENT ACTS OF BEATINGS AND IT MAY BE A TRIGGER FOR SOME. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

Zoey's POV

Present Day (Boxing Day 2020)

My vision blurred from the blow to my face. I was already beaten to a pulp and I was lying flat on the floor. The punch knocked the air out of my lungs. My nose stung. I could feel the blood running down my pharynx. I rolled to my side, coughing and choking on my blood. Still gasping, he held my hair and yanked my head so that I was looking at him.

"Tell me, Zoey, what were you doing in Chelsea's chambers? I told you never to leave this room."

I didn't answer him. I just flashed him a bloodied grin. His face was twisted with anger. He hadn't been enjoying himself while beating me anymore. I wasn't crying enough anymore, he said.

When a person has been beaten to a pulp almost every day for six years, they build up a tolerance for the pain.

That is what happened to me, my tolerance for his beatings was high.

I still do feel pain though, in fact, right at that moment, I was in an excruciating amount of agonizing pain, but my body was forced to withstand such vile treatments.

"Zoey, you do not want to get me angrier than I already am. I asked you why were you in Chelsea's room?"

I gave him a menacing chuckle. He grumbled and then released my hair. He turned his back to me and began to walk towards the door.

I was relieved, he won't be bothering me again for the rest of the day.

But my relief had come too quickly.

I tried to get up, but as soon as I was positioned on my hands and feet. I heard angry footsteps scraping over the floor. I barely got time to look up when I felt my nose being crushed against hard knuckles. I once again fell on the filthy, rat-infested floor.

"You think I am playing with you, Zoey? Answer me when I address you. I am the King!" He grabbed my hair again.

King, my ass!

I spat blood into his face. He stood up and took out a handkerchief from his pocket and wiped his face. He then cackled. He circled my broken body like a vulture. He had his hands folded behind his back. "You are really testing my patience, Zoey. Do not think for a second that because I have not slain you all these years, that I won't do it now."

But I knew why he hadn't killed me. One of the witches that he had captured told me he wants to strip my powers, but because of my situation and who I was, he doesn't know how.

"I know you want my powers and I would rather die before I let you have them," I could taste the venom in my mouth. I tried to get up from the floor once more, but his foot smashed into my right rib.

"Well then, that can be arranged."

Twelve... twenty, I lost track of how many times he kicked me.

He paused to catch his breath, and then he ran a hand and slicked back his dyed black, gelled hair and I thought he would have been done for the day. But again I was wrong!

I was busy catching my breath, but my breathing came to an abrupt halt as his foot slammed into my stomach, sending me sliding across the cold, rough concrete floor. My back smashed against the grilled wall. I felt a loose steel sliced through my torso. It pierced through my organs and shattered most of my bones.

The impact caused an electrifying pain to burn into my spine and just when the pain was at its worst, I felt my nose being crushed beneath his boots, sending shudders throughout my body; sending my suffering to new heights.