The key was to get her to a place where she led the conversation.

          I reached for a saucer as she poured me a drink. "How are you holding up by the way?"

           She looked up suddenly, the pitcher hovering in place over the tray. "Ma'am?"

          "You knew her too. I mean you worked here for years, right?"

           "Oh, yes ma'am. She wasn't my mother though." She sat the pitcher down and moved the glass of lemon water onto a coaster.

           "No, but death is hard no matter who experiences it." I took a little sip of the lemon water; quite annoyed that it wasn't either water or lemonade but resigned. "And I know sometimes people get stressed in these situations and take it out on the help."

          She nodded. "It was a stressful situation."

          "I don't doubt it. You know I used to work as a maid."

           "Really? You?"

           "Put myself through college. I wasn't domestic, though. I cleaned an office building. Still ran into a lot of entitlement." That was only half a lie. I did work in housekeeping for an office, but it was only one year out of four. Most of my working student career had been as a barista at the Rise and Grind.

          She took a seat next to me. "But you managed to graduate?"

          "Oh yeah. I'm a business owner now," I flashed her my most charming grin. "Why, are you trying to get through school?"

          "No... but my son."

          "Ah."

          "The tuition is so expensive."

          "What's he in for?"

          "Business. He'd rather focus on history. But what can he do with a history degree? Be a teacher? Not for the money they charge." A woman after my own heart.

          "Young people have to learn how to balance their passions with practicality."

          She nodded like what I'd said was profound. "Ain't that the truth."

          "People just don't know how good they have it in the U.S."

          "They really don't." Her eyes shined. I'd said the magic words. "I try to tell my son all the time, if I hadn't come to this country, he wouldn't have all these opportunities. I don't think he understands me."

          "Kids. They'll understand with time." I wouldn't know, I had no children and wasn't planning on any anytime soon. "That's a lovely accent. What country are you from? "

          "Haiti."

          "Ah, our neighbors to the South." I flashed another grin and nodded my head. "I hope my countrymen have been hospitable."

           "It's...an experience."

           "Well I hope at least the Dupont's treat you right."

           "They're a nice family but sometimes they can be a little thoughtless."

           "Really?"

          She leaned forward and poured herself a cup of lemon water. "Yeah. You know that Destiny can be a handful."

          "Oh, I know. I try to avoid her."