***

Several hours later, Lexi was making her way to Isaac's home. When she finally approached it, she didn't knock right away. She instead quickly glanced down at her outfit. She briefly recalled struggling to pick something— anything— that was nice enough for tonight's date. For over an hour, she tried to put together a look that was not too sexy, not too formal, and not too boring. She eventually managed to settle on a dark grey turtleneck sweater, black skinny jeans, and black fake leather boots. Her matching black puffy jacket didn't keep her totally warm, but it was better than nothing at all.

Tonight's gonna be a great night, she thought as she finally knocked.

Isaac answered a couple of minutes later, greeting her as he did so. He ushered her inside without any hesitation.

"How are you?" he asked as he removed her coat off her body.

"I'm good, thank you," Lexi replied. She thanked him before removing her boots. "You?"

"Better, thanks."

"Why? Because I'm here?"

Isaac's smirk was impossible to miss. "Perhaps."

Lexi couldn't help but giggle before the couple kissed. She then followed Isaac into the tiny kitchen and dining room. She glanced in the kitchen, only to see a large glass casserole dish sitting on the stove. Some more dishes sat in a sink full of soapy water with a dishrag situated right beside it. The smell of meat and tomato sauce was faint, yet just noticeable enough to make Lexi hungry.

"Something smells good."

"I hope it tastes good," Isaac chuckled. "I'm not much of a cook, to be honest."

"That's okay," Lexi said, "I'm sure it'll taste good. Is that lasagna?"

"Yeah, meat lasagna."

"Then it's gonna be delicious."

Again, Isaac chuckled. But he chose not to argue, and instead served the both of them. They sat at the small dining table and began to eat.

"This turned out better than I thought it would," Isaac remarked.

Lexi nodded. She swallowed a mouthful before speaking. "It's really good! You definitely know how to cook."

Isaac grinned. "Thanks. I still think you're a better cook, though."

"Oh, thank you," Lexi replied. Her grin was wide as she continued to eat.

"Look," Isaac said, "I don't wanna talk about school, or work, or any of the drama that's going on. Let's just focus on tonight...if that's alright with you."

"I'm perfectly content with that," Lexi said. She paused to muse it over. "Honestly, I'm doing quite well. Despite being stressed because of...well, you know...I still feel super happy."

"This year's been better than last year," Isaac confessed. "I feel happier, I guess? Yeah, that's it— happier. I know for a fact that you're the main reason for it."

"Oh, wow. I didn't expect you to say that. Er— not that I mind. But yeah, this year's been a good one, that's for sure."

"I'm glad I decided to ask you out."

"Me too. I've always wondered, though— what made you ask me out in the first place? Was it because I drunkenly kissed you at that party?"

Isaac laughed a little at the amusing memory. "A little... I mean, I realized a while after it happened that I enjoyed kissing you. But I also like your kindness, your caring nature, and your good heart. You've always been really good to me, even when I didn't deserve it. Oh, and you're really beautiful, too."