alternate ending

a/n - hi so ik you guys are probably mad at me for ending the book this way LMAO so i've written an alternate ending that would (hopefully) make you guys happy!

it's really long just cause i left a lot of stuff open ended in part 32 and i wanted to tie up some loose ends for this so sorry if it's bad/rushed.

i also would've written it longer but i wanted to address that stuff in the sequel + it was already long so i felt bad lol,, also i only kept it one part or else i would've ended up over explaining things and left nothing for the second book.

but here's some closure for now before we get into the drama that is the second book :)

also ty @samantha16avery for giving me the idea of doing an alternate ending! they also gave me the idea of doing an epilogue for dream come true but i forgot to give them credit, sorry!!

but here you go!

"who are you?"

carol and dana were taken aback and looked at each other, not knowing how to answer the question.

"nina, what do you mean?" dana lightly scoffed.

"who's nina?" she asked shyly.

"you're nina," carol sternly replied, "and we're your moms. do you not remember us?" her voiced pitched higher to avoid more tears spilling out of her eyes.

the brunette shook her head lightly, "i'm sorry."

"do you remember anything?" dana asked.

nina thought for a second to try and see if she had any memory of anything stuck in the back of her head.

"nini."

dana and carol looked at each other again, speechless.

"what?" dana asked.

"my nickname," she answered with a smile, "nini is my nickname."

"no, honey, we never-"

carol set her hand on dana's arm, interrupting her response to nina.

"do you remember how you got that nickname?" carol softly asked.

"umm," she thought for another second, "i remember just one person calling me it, but i forgot who it was."

carol nodded before excusing herself and leaving the hospital room and closing the door behind her, covering her mouth as she tried not to let any tears or anger out.

"is she okay?" the brunette asked her other mother who was staring at the closed room door.

"uh, i'm just gonna check on her, okay?"

nina nodded before dana squeezed her hand and gave her a small smile. she walked out of the room and saw carol sitting on a chair next to nina's room with her face in her hands.

dana sat down next to her and gave her a hug as carol let a couple tears out.

"how does she not remember us? we were there her whole life, but she remembers that boy? the name he gave her?" carol cried out.

"i know," dana replied softly, rubbing carol's back.

"how does that happen?"

carol felt dana shrug her shoulders, even though she couldn't see the action.

"there has to be something we could do, right?" carol asked, releasing herself from dana's embrace. "something to make her remember more. remember us."