21

nina sat quietly at her lunch table as all her friends around her made conversation with each other.

she was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't even realize that she hasn't touched her food that was sitting in front of her. she just sat there, staring blankly into the center of the table as time slowly passed by.

 she just sat there, staring blankly into the center of the table as time slowly passed by

"hey," ricky whispered to nina, trying to get her attention

she was shaken out of her thoughts and looked towards ricky's direction. this was when he realized how bad she looked. she had eye bags under her slightly puffy, red eyes, her cheeks slightly rosier than normal, and her hair that was in a bun, fell loosely as she turned her head.

"are you okay?" he asked quietly, grabbing the attention of almost everyone at the table, being as they were all confused at her change in attitude.

"yea, i'm fine," she smiled before she turned her head back to stare at the same spot of the center of the table and dropping her smile.

ricky looked around at all their friends who had worrisome looks. he gave them a shrug and mouthed the words 'i don't know.'

"hey neens, what time did you go to bed last night? i heard you typing on your laptop until pretty late," ashlyn softly said.

"um, i-i didn't sleep," the brunette muttered.

"why not?" big red asked.

"something kept me up," she shrugged, "um, my next class is pretty far, i sh-"

"nina, what's going on?" carlos asked.

she looked up to the black haired boy who was sitting next to her, "i-" she choked out.

"hey, you can talk to us," ricky comforted her, placing his hand on her back.

she let out a breath and placed her elbows on the table as she covered her eyes, stopping the tears from pouring out.

she stayed in that position for a while."i think i found my birth family," she said only loud enough for her friends to hear.

"what?" ashlyn said, in shock.