The Many Lives of a Story Told

The first thing that Gray noticed was the intense darkness. 

As soon as they started to approach the house through the forest the darkness crept over them like a living creature. When Grey was small his mother had told him that nothing good ever happened in the dark. Though he and his mother had had their problems, he did believe her on that aspect. It wasn't the darkness itself, so much as what he feared was hiding in it. 

He heard a rustling behind him, and then a bright shining light appeared. Wilhelm had been smart and took out the flash light on his phone. The brightness of it stretching out into the forest in front them. He could faintly see the path that they were walking, however he was sure he could have lived without the rest. Greyson guessed because the forest didn't get much sun, and surrounded a natural predator, that there wasn't much to eat. Because of this, many of the animals that lived in the area had died and there small carcasses lay decomposing on the ground.  

He dared not look around because when he did he could swear that something was looking back at him. It didn't help that his new werewolf gene advanced his sight and he could see even more of the things he'd rather not hold in his gaze. He wondered why the man hadn't gone insane out here.  

Picking up speed they reached the house of Atticus Storm with surprising ease.  

"Stop!" Christophe snapped. Although he bristled at being ordered, Grey came to a halt. He instinctively scented the air and his skin crawled to the point where he thought he might escape it. There was a low rumbling in his chest and he could feel his canines extending past his teeth.  

Wilhelm growled and pulled Jack closer to his side. "Fuck! How many?" he hissed. Grey's eyes widened and turned to Christophe.  

The other man scented the air again, "Three."  

"Fucking vampires," Wilhelm snapped. Looking into his mouth, all of his teeth had sharpened into canines and glistened with saliva that helped him digest his enemies.  

"They're already ahead of us, they may have beat us to the house," Christophe said calmly, the only indication of his stress level being his narrowed eyes.  

"We have to hurry," Grey hissed.  

"You sure you can't shift?" Wilhelm asked. Grey shook his head, even more furious with himself. Even though they had tried he still couldn't change into his wolf form.  

He heard the ripping of clothes and turned to see that Christophe had phased into his glorious wolf form. The wolf approached him, Grey still marveled at how large they were in wolf form. Part of him felt jealous that he could not contact this part of himself, however others did it with ease.  

Christophe approached him, and then did something that turned Grey's stomach. He laid down in front of him. Grey knew this wasn't right, Christophe was not supposed to be offering Grey an opportunity to get on his back. He was reminded of the one time he had attempted to kiss a boy in public. Though he knew it was not against the law he knew that it was against social context, and he felt that same heat now. However, just as saw judgmental faces then and hated them, this time he saw Jasper's face. Jasper, by his calculation, had less than a day. If this was going to help save him he would ignore the feeling in his gut and do what he had to do.  

Using Christophe's grey hair he hoisted himself onto the giant wolf. Wilhelm and Jack had already phased and had determined looks on their faces. Like a bullet they were off. Grey found that even at such break neck speeds nothing blurred. Everything was still in the same vivid focus as it always was. When approaching a huge cliff that separated them from the house, he expected himself to be scared when Christophe flung himself off of it. But he wasn't. Even though he had never transformed he knew the capabilities of his kind, and he knew to trust them.