The Many Lives of a Hidden Demon

Grey had never seen Jasper shift before.

Not that he could examine this particular time. Jasper moved from his side in an instant. Where there had once been his boyfriend now, stood a large jet black colored wolf. It had to be the most beautiful thing Grey had ever seen. The fur glistened and moved in seemingly slow motion as it shook.  Grey almost forgot the problem at hand in his need to run his fingers through it.

Jasper the wolf shot out, hitting Sky with his shoulder and sending her flying into to wall and putting a giant spider looking crack into it. Reggie and Shay immediately moved over to Max the warlock, and waved their arms in some sort of spell that caused them to disappear.

The jet black wolf that was Jasper growled warningly at the girl that had the face of his sister, but the ferocity of a rabid animal. Sky in turn snapped her jaws at Jasper and bared razor sharp fangs that glistened with saliva. Her once balled head had long silvery gray hair that cascaded to her waist. Her eyes were a deep set violet and bags set under her eyes despite how long she had been “asleep”.  Grey realized with a sinking feeling that his sister would never be the same, no matter what he did. This made is heart ache, he had always been able to do something to see that smile on his sisters face, now, in the shell of this thing, he wasn’t sure he could.

There was a rippling around the room as people began to shift. Gray wondered how he hadn’t noticed the intense growling before. The others seemed to be biting at the bit to protect their leader. One by one various colored wolves seemed to appear from thin air, each with their own shinny coat that glowed in the light. Growls ripped through the air like tornado warnings and each looked ready to pounce.

Grey had had enough. He moved from his spot that was stone still on the floor.  Moving over to stand slightly in front of Sky, Grey threw his arms to both sides, which was received with a growl.

“She’s my sister,” He stated, as aggressive and authoritative as he could. “I can help her, make her realize the way she was before! She’s still my sister.”

The tears were welling up in Grey’s throat as he said this. He had to believe it. He had to believe that Sky, his little baby sister, was in there someplace. He hadn’t been able to protect her from this he realized. He could just picture her, lying cold and alone in her hospital bed. She was probably watching her favorite reality show and making fun of it. She probably felt the breeze blow through her frail stature as the creature appeared from the door or the window and came into her room. She had probably screamed for him, called out his name to save her as the teeth of the creature sliced into her neck and bled her dry. Grey’s hands clenched in fury and shame at how he had betrayed his own flesh and blood; when she had never done anything to betray him. But maybe now, now he could protect her.

There were resounding growls in disagreement. Jasper shifted back into his human form and Grey blushed and turned away at his sudden nakedness. Jasper pulled his pants on as the others held a growling and spitting Sky in a corner. Jasper’s words shocked him.

“Do you really think she’d want to live this way?” Jasper whispered, coming to stand next to him as he placed his arm on Grey’s shoulder. “Grayson, a disease is living in your sister’s mind, and has taken it over. It’s worse than cancer, it’s worse than anything. It consumes the mind into darkness and bloodlust and makes the barer a catalyst for destruction.”

“But I can-” Grey started, the tears were coming down.

“Grayson, I wanted you to figure out that death was the easiest thing for Skylark. She was ready for that; I could see it in the hospital. The only reason she held on is to see that you were happy, and taken care of.”

“That’s not true; I take care of her and…” Gray was sobbing now. Uncontrollable breaths escaping his lips as he did so. He looked at the creature. He couldn’t ignore the fact that what Jasper said was true. The monster only seemed to be wearing the skin of Sky, while the insides were something else, something dark and twisted.

Grey convulsed unable to take it anymore. Sky was the only thing besides his parents that shared any true relation to him. He felt his heart dissolve into his stomach as uncontrollable tears kissed his face.

“Grey…” The vampire whispered. Grey whipped his head around to look at it. “Please…” was all it hissed in a convoluted whisper. It couldn’t be…

Grey stepped away from Jasper to get closer to the girl. The others parted reluctantly, but stayed close.

As he stared at the creature he thought he saw a glimmer of Sky, his high spirited, sassy sister. And then there was an evil demented laugh that echoed through the halls and before anyone could prepare, the demon lunged at Grey with its teeth bared.

Grey’s instincts made him close his eyes and wait for impact, but it never came. Grey felt along his neck to see the damage, but there was none. Maybe she missed?

Then Grey opened his eyes to a sight of horror. Jasper stood in front of him, facing him in human form, his broad chest bare. His mouth was open in surprise and his eyes wide in confusion.

Three things happened in that instant. The creature dislodged itself from Jasper’s jugular. The other werewolves grabbed the monster and tore it to pieces, scattering his sister’s remains on the floor in a flash. And a fatally bitten werewolf fell into his arms.