"Then, why did you help Reiji san while he was planning to sacrifice me?"

Kanato looked at her, wide eyed. Then he laughed, rolling on the floor, the cookie falling out of his hands. Yui looked at him in shock as he kept on laughing, tears rolling out of his eyes, his hands banging the floor. "You are really self-centred, aren't you?"

Yui's eyes were doll-like, he noticed. They were the perfect wine red shade, mimicking those in his collection of marble eyes shaped out of pretty rubies. He stopped when they filled up with tears, and her hand swiftly came up to wipe them away.

"You really think Reiji was a fool, right?" Kanato questioned her. "That he would try to kill some pathetic human like you and have your strange scent around when his mother came from the grave?"

Yui seemed to sit straighter, perhaps getting confident that she will get her answers. Kanato didn't seem to mind her weird behaviour. Food should learn to act like food ought to, but today she baked him nice cookies, so he might as well give her the pass.

"Reiji only used you in order to get to your father."

"How?"

"Of course you would ask me every silly detail, wouldn't you?" He seemed to have been irritated. He continued nevertheless, "Reiji only wanted your father to follow you into his little trap. Him directly approaching your father would have been suspicious, so he decided that it would be better if he simply let Ruki to lead your father in." Kanato kept the teacup on the saucer once again, pouring out imaginary tea, filling his cup again. "Ruki got the idea through Kou, who consulted that weird fake eye of his to see through his intentions. Reiji exposed himself to Ruki so that he would do his dirty work instead."

Yui had a peculiar expression now, her mouth hung open while she stared silently at him.

"And why did you help him?"

The question caught him off guard. "You wouldn't understand."

Yui's stupidly beautiful eyes became somehow bigger, questioning him. "But why?"

Not standing the puppy look, he grabbed her hand, applying force so that she'd feel intense pain without having a fracture for him to worry about. "I said shut up. You've made me hungry."

Yui started sobbing too soon. "I understand Kanato kun, I shouldn't have been so intrusive, please let me go..."

Kanato laughed, and pulled her harshly towards her, letting the cookie tray fall down on the ground. She started hiccupping, so scared of his bite that no coherent words came out of her mouth while she sobbed. Kanato rolled her sleeve up, looking at her pale skin, bringing it closer to his face and licking it, relishing the fear that made her taste delicious. "Thanks for the cookies, they were delicious."

He drove his fangs into the inside of her wrist. A silent whimper escaped her, as her hot blood flooded inside his mouth. That delectable flavour, such a sweet taste that even the sweet cookies seemed to be bland in comparison. He kept her other hand beneath his grip, drinking from her. This should be the only relationship between them. There would be too many complications if he started to care about her.

No, it was because of her.

Because of her they had been attacked by the wolves. Because of her, Reiji could call in that hunter among their premises. Because of her, Shu was killed. She possessed power far more fearsome than he held, she could cause the death of his brother, of course she was a threat to him. Without thinking, Kanato flipped her frail body onto the floor, his hands fastening over her neck, as she struggled beneath his grip.

"Kanato..." she breathed, her eyes rolling into the back of her head, her brain quickly shutting down due to asphyxia. He kept his tight grasp, wanting to end her miserable life right here...