forty-seven.

August 2020

August 2020

I stood on the front porch of Tony and Pepper's house, the wood creaking under my feet as awaiting for someone to open up the door. The last of the summer air brushed past me, the green leaves of the many trees being rustles as it moved through them. I held a gift bag down by my side, my other hand pushed into the pocket of my leather jacket as I let out a deep breath. I heard footsteps coming from the house, a figure visible through the window and curtains as the door was pulled open, revealing a smiling Pepper on the other side as I smiled back at her.

"You made it" Pepper said to me as she reached out, hugging me with a small sigh as I let out a laugh, not even inside the house yet. I hugegd her back with one hand, the other holding the gift bag as I patted her on the back. "I wouldn't miss it" I told her, pulling away as she took a step back, letting me inside as I stepped into the house Rhodey sitting leaning against the side of the couch as he waved at me, pushing himself off of the couch as his leg braces made a small whirring sound.

"Hey" I said as he walked over, Pepper closing the door aas I gave Rhodey a quick hug, looking around the room for Morgan. "Where is she?" I asked, turning to look at Pepper with my eyebrows raised. "Running circles around Tony" she replied as she pointed past me, making me turn around to see Tony running past the stairs, a small smile on his face as he turned the corner to go down the other side of the stairs. There was a giggle as Morgan tottered along behind him, clearly trying to chase Tony around the house with a wide smile on her face.

"Hey" Tony shouted at me with a wave of his hand as he checked behind him to make sure Morgan was still following him, which she was quite happily. "Hi" I said back to him, setting the gift bag on the floor as I pulled my coat off, Tony slowing down as he let a tired Morgan catch up. "Come on, 3 more laps before you get any cake" he instructed his daughter as he kept jogging, Pepper taking my coat from me as she set it on the side of the couch, leaning against it as she looked towards Tony and Morgan.

"Tony, honey, she's going to pass out before we get to cake" Pepper told him as Tony let out a sigh, turning on the spot and picking up Morgan, throwing her into the air slightly as she let out an excited squeal. "Exercise is important" Tony said, coming to join the three of us in the living room, holding Morgan on his waist, waking down the few steps that led to the living room. "Look at Ally she exercises and she's doing great for herself" he said, pointing over to me as I smiled at him, nodding my head slowly as I put my hands out to take Morgan from Tony.

"Don't think it has much to do with the exercise" I replied quickly as Morgan reached over to me, Tony passing her over easily as I held her in my arms. "Happy birthday" I said cheerily as I bounced her in my arms, one hand holding her on my side and the other sitting on her back. She squealed in excitement probably just from the tone of my voice, before she reached her hand to Pepper, who took her hand and kissed it gently. "You are getting heavy, little miss" I said to Morgan as I used my finger to tickle her in the side, making her squirm as she giggled, trying to escape my grip.