Chapter 5

The next day, Hinata skipped into school with a grin on his face.

"Wow, Hinata seems really happy today." Tanaka commented, watching as the orange haired boy skipped down the halls.

"Isn't he always like that?" Noya asked, his eyes following Hinata's every move.

"I dunno. Lately he seemed really sad. I guess his problem got fixed or something." Tanaka replied, and the two returned to their daily conversation about Kiyoko.

Hinata skipped over to his table, humming softly as he pulled out his notebooks and stationary. Today was a very good day. Him and Hoshi had set up a date together at an ice cream shop nearby, and Hinata couldn't wait for school to finish so that he could be on his way.

"Hey Hinata." Hinata looked up to see his favorite blue eyes staring back at him. Somehow, she was nowhere to be seen.

Hinata turned his gaze back down to his things, replying unenthusiastically. "Hi, Kageyama."

Kageyama stood there for a moment, clearly taken aback by Hinata's sudden loss of energy. "H-how are you?"

"I'm doing great, actually. Thanks for asking." came the flat return.

Kageyama cleared his throat, nervously pulling at the collar of his uniform. "That's nice-"

"Hey, where is she?" Hinata cut in, finally looking back up at Kageyama's pretty face.

"Huh? ...oh." Kageyama scratched the back of his head awkwardly. "We uh, we broke up."

Hinata whipped his head around to face Kageyama so fast that he felt his neck crack. "What?!"

"Uhm, yeah. We broke up. She's taking the day off from school because she was really upset." Kageyama continued.

Hinata felt his heart tighten, not sure whether it was because of joy or sorrow. He was overjoyed glad that Kageyama had broken up with her but... Hinata had already moved on. And he was happy now.

"That's... that's too bad." Hinata ended up mumbling. He turned his head back to his pencil case, fumbling around for one of his pens.

He could feel Kageyama still standing next to his desk, the dark haired boy's taller frame looming over Hinata's tiny desk.

"Oh, here." Out of the corner of his eye, Hinata saw a small box on the edge of his desk.

"I was at the store this morning and I thought you'd like it." Kageyama explained, turning away.

"I have a boyfriend!" Hinata yelped, not really knowing what to say.

But all he got in response was a soft "I know" from Kageyama.

As Hinata looked down at the neatly wrapped box on his desk, Kageyama's "I know" rang in his ears.

I know.

Hinata gently unwrapped the gift and opened the box.

I know.

It was a little keychain of a sun with a big smiling face.

I know.

Shoyou meant shining sunlight.

Hinata felt his breath catch in his throat as he looked down at the key chain.

He couldn't keep it.

He had a boyfriend.

He had to move on.

This didn't even mean anything.

It was just a stupid keychain.

Just a stupid, stupid keychain.