7: Plans and an ex

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"What?" I held out my hands. "I don't have a phone, dude. I thought I told you that in the warehouse."

"I thought you were meaning you didn't have it that night. But that's fine."

I didn't expect him to drop it so fast. "Well, how do we communicate if something changes?"

"I'll take care of it, don't worry."

I wasn't sure how to feel about that. "Whatever that means." I muttered. "Okay, so we have..." I looked at the clock, "thirty minutes left of class. What do we do for that time?"

"What haven't you done that I have?" Kason asked, his eyes scanning over me. He did that a lot.

"Uh, probably a lot of things."

He met my eyes once again. "Do you have any tattoos?"

"Unless I've gotten one without my knowledge, no." I gave him a look. "Wait, you have tattoos?"

"Only a few."

I shook my head, smiling. "How cliche."

"Maybe to your simple mind."

I brushed that off. "What are they? Do you have something cliche like a heart that says 'I love my mom'? Or an eagle? Maybe a cigarette?"

Kason patiently waited for me to finish. "You realize you haven't given me time to answer, right?"

"Oh, right. Sorry, it's just easy to make fun of you."

He ignored that little insult. "One is just a pattern, I guess you could call it. There's this one." He rolled his sleeve up over his shoulder, showing a simple black band around his bicep.

I couldn't help admiring his arm. I didn't know it was possible for someone to have a good looking arm, but he did. "Any others?" I asked as he put his sleeve back in place.

"I got it when I was drunk, so you can't judge me, okay?"

I grinned. "I'm totally going judge you, smokey, and you know it. But tell me anyway."

Kason's eyes narrowed. "Do I really want to tell you?"

"Yes. It's a must. I have to get to know you, after all."

He looked at me a moment longer. "No, I'll pass on that. I don't need your laughter in my face."

I pretended to pout. "Fine, be that way."

"I will. And you, sweetheart, are going to get a tattoo."

"Age and school appropriate, may I remind you."

He gave me a challenging look. "Scared? Too good for a little ink?"

I couldn't help falling for the bait.  "No. I'll get one just to prove you wrong."

Kason looked victorious. "That's what I thought."

"Then what's something you'll do?" I looked up in thought. "Have you ever hopped train cars?"

"What is that?"

My mouth dropped. In this area, train hopping was a normal rebellious thing to do. At the train yard North of town, they would move the cars around a lot at certain times. That's when you would jump between them as they moved. It was dangerous and illegal, but way fun. "You haven't done it? Well, now you will."

Kason grinned. "Seems it's a good thing I tricked Mr. Slater into making me your partner. This will get interesting."

* * *

"Anne, I'm freaking out. I don't care if you're busy making out with Jackson, call me." I hung up the house phone in annoyance.

After Humanities, I had mostly forgotten about meeting Kason. Until now, that is, and I was sort of panicking. Anne would be able to talk some chill into me, but she wasn't answering her phone. So much for that.