Intimacy

Inside the dining hall, the air is thick and damp. Katara leans into Aang's shoulder as a moment of peace floods her senses. She noticed how she felt with her new husband, overflowing with joy. She hoped this feeling would last forever. She and the airbender were surrounded by friends and family in her home of the Southern Water Tribe. A sea of blues and whites worn by their wedding guests crowded her view. She sighed deeply, resting further into Aang's shoulder. She continued to watch her party guests laugh, eat, and drink too much. She noticed her brother Sokka eating two plates of food, both with a different assortment of items. She laughed to herself, feeling very warm and flushed from her head to her toes. She remembered she had indulged in a lot of food and wine as well.

Aang's hand came up to rest upon Katara's head, lightly running his fingers through her hair. The waterbender's scent of citrus was the best smell in the world to him. He noticed the unsteadiness of his wife, chuckling to himself remembering how she thought she could keep up with Sokka's wine drinking. "I think you may need a lot of water and more bread", Aang said with a smile. All Katara could muster was a mumble of "I'm finer than almost everyone here. I'm not Zuko who threw up almost immediately after dinner. I can handle some wine. I'm fiiiiiine." Sokka took notice of his heavily tipsy sister and began to walk in her direction. Without tact or subtly, Sokka laughed "Katara, you're supposed to be the responsible one! Aang, how could you let this happen?" Aang opened his mouth to speak but was suddenly overshadowed by his wife's loud voice. "Sokka, I'm not Aang or anyone's responsibility! I can take care of myself! I'm fine and if you've forgotten, it's my wedding! I'd say you would know what that's like but you're taking your sweet time asking Suki to marry you!" Aang tightly closed his eyes, wishing he could melt out of his seat and vanish. Sokka frowned at Katara and crossed his arms. He spoke barely above a whisper "Hey, you don't have to go that far. I thought you would lighten up after some wine but you're still a wet blanket." He promptly walked away, sliding past Suki and out of the dining hall.

Aang straightened up in his seat and turned his face towards Katara. "Hey, let's go look at the water". She nodded and followed the airbender out of the party, holding his hand the whole way. Once the waterbender felt the icy breeze on her face, she exhaled into the night's air. Her husband interlaced his fingers with hers, walking until they reached the point where ice meets water. She leaned hard into her husband as he carefully pulled them down to sit on the ice. After a few moments of silence, she slipped her shoes off and dipped her feet into the frigid water. She breathed fully and slowly, noticing a rush of cold replacing the heat built up in her body. She felt clear headed and suddenly remembered her conversation with Sokka at their reception. She turned towards her husband and let out a groan. "I'm so ashamed, Aang. I always get over emotional and say the wrong thing. This was supposed to be a fun night. I'm sorry I ruined it." He pulled her close in a tight embrace, her face resting on his chest. "You're not over emotional, Katara. You feel your emotions strongly, but that's not a bad thing. That's why I love you." She spoke without moving from his chest, "Really?" "Really," he said, "but, maybe apologizing to Sokka wouldn't hurt either". She looked up at his face, sharing a smile with her husband. He continued, "I don't think feeling emotions is bad, but expressing emotions without thinking about how they make others feel can be hurtful. I think all of our friends have been where you are." She hugged him while resting her head on his chest.

Coming from the side of the dining hall, Sokka walked over to Katara and Aang. While he walked, he stared at the sea with his muscles tight around his face. Katara heard his footprints in the snow and turned around to see her brother, placing her feet back in her shoes. Before the words could form on her lips, Sokka held his hand up to speak. "Katara, I was being a jerk in there. To both you and Aang. I think I was a little jealous that my little sister got married before me." Katara's mouth hung open at the apology, stunned for a few moments. She held her brother's hand, "Thank you, Sokka. There really was no reason for me to react like that. I guess I felt like the one time I could not be "the mom" and act like everyone else, here you come along to make me feel guilty. I know you were just joking." Her brother sat down next to her and spoke firmly, "Yeah, but it was a bad joke. I should've just let you have a good time. I don't want you to ever feel ashamed to let loose. You deserve it for all the times you kept us alive and safe". The siblings smiled at each other.

The three of them stared into the water, letting the silence wash over them for a few moments. Katara wrapped her arms around her husband, radiating with joy. She turned to look at Aang, "Thank you for being so forgiving with me. I always forget how mature you are for your age. I love you." The airbender said, "I love you, too. I hope you can forgive yourself. You know, this has been the happiest day of my life, second to when you found me five years ago. Your compassion brought me back to the world, twice. I hope you continue to feel your emotions because I don't know where I'd be without you." He kissed her softly on her lips. Sokka groaned, "Oogies! You had to ruin a perfect family moment." She whipped her head around to glare at her brother, "If anyone deserves endless oogies tonight, it's us!". Sokka smiled widely at his sister and his brother-in-law, "Okay, okay, you're right. Oogies are acceptable tonight only. Think of it as a wedding gift". Katara and Aang both rolled their eyes. The new husband and wife stood up and turned towards each other. "Come on, Aang, let's go take advantage of our wedding gift", she said with a smile. Her brother screamed and covered his ears, "Ughh! You just love torturing me don't you?" The couple laughed, both wanting to freeze this moment in time.