Chapter 49: Tessa

Start from the beginning

"I understand." He kisses my cheek. "Don't you ever apologize for shit like that. I'm gonna go grab some menus, are you done calling Noah and Shannon?"

"Yeah. They talked to the caterer by themselves, and thank god it went well. I still feel terrible."

"I would tell you to stop feeling bad because it was not your fault, but I know you still will, so let's just order some food." He grabs my hand and pulls me into the main room. He takes a couple menus from the stack we have in the kitchen, then joins me on the couch. He pulls me close to him, and holds the menus in front of my face.

"Okay, so we have Lucky Eight on 8th Avenue, or Kung Fu Kitchen on Henry St. You choose."

"Hmm I don't mind either or. Ugh, I do wish we lived closer to Imperial Garden over in Manhattan. They have the best chicken chow mien in New York City!" My mouth waters at the thought of that dish.

"When did you go there?"

"Landon, Robert, Nora and I went for my 20th birthday. It was so good! That was such a crazy night, Nora almost got hit by a taxi, and Robert almost got arrested for putting a-" I laugh, then remember who I'm talking to. "Um... anyways, let's do Lucky Eight. It's closer."

"Yeah... okay." Hardin lightly pushes me off his lap, so he can reach his cell phone in his back pocket. "It's still dead... so I'm gonna go... um... gonna go charge it." He stutters before getting up and walking into the kitchen.

Shit.

Why did I have to bring that up? Sometimes, I'm such a fucking idiot who doesn't know how to shut my mouth. Hardin was in such a good mood too.

"It'll be here in an hour." He stands awkwardly at the main room entrance. I lift my arms to summon him to me.

"Come cuddle." I smile, and he finally returns the same gesture. I scoot over, so he has room to sit. He wraps his arms around me, placing his head on my shoulder, and I lightly bring my fingers through his curls. I like how Hardin cut his hair a little, so he still has a full head of hair, but it's not down to his shoulders like it once was.

"I'm sorry for mentioning Robert. I know he's a sensitive subject."

"It's not that." He moves his head down to my lap, and wraps his arms around my waist. "I just... I don't like thinking about the idea that you did things that I wasn't present for. You celebrated two birthdays without me, you got a fucking tattoo without me, you did all of these things that I wanted to witness."

I don't know what to say to Hardin because it's true. We had different lives those two long years we were apart. Hardin did a bunch of things without me, and I did things without him. It pains me to think about it too: Hardin having memories that exist without me in them.

"Yeah I know. I don't like thinking about it either." I know the tattoo one is the memory that upsets him the most. He always told me how he wanted to be there for when I got a tattoo, and the fact that he wasn't must have killed him when he found out. An idea pops into my head.

"What if we got tattoos?" I question him, and he lifts his head up in confusion.

"What?"

"We should get tattoos! Or at least I should get one so you can witness it."

"Tessa, you're not going to get another tattoo." He sits up now, laughing at my idea.

"Yes I will!" I slap his shoulder.

"What would you even get?"

"I don't know... I was thinking the words "fuck this" on my knuckles. I saw it in a movie once."

"Yeah, over my dead fucking body." He pulls me closer, so my head can lay on his chest.

"I'm serious, Hardin. Wouldn't it be cool if we even got matching tattoos?"

"Tess..." He laughs, and I can feel his chest move against my ear. "What about this whole 'if I lose the baby, I'm leaving you' shit?"

Fuck. I forgot about that. "Well, I'd still want to be connected to you in some way. Even if we aren't together anymore."

"I shouldn't have brought that up because it's not fucking happening. So, if you really want another tattoo, we can do it."

I'm the one who sits up now. "Well, let's go!" I race over and grab my shoes.

"You're not even dressed!" He shouts after me.

"Our foods gonna be here in an hour, and there is one right down the road. Another perk to living in New York."

Hardin sighs, and gets up, sliding on his shoes. Are we really doing this? Are we spontaneously getting a tattoo right now, just hours after a man broke into our home and almost assaulted me?

Yes. Yes we are.