A Knife In Her Chest (Working Title)

Dad was pacing. As was I along the blood-stained carpet. It wasn't like him to be so quiet. His arms pinned behind his back. His hands clasped together. Head bowed. Watching his feet as they shuffled across the floor. I kept my eyes on him. I was afraid of what he could do. His sword in plain sight. Not even wanting to be hidden.

"Now Jared-" Mom started to protest, but when Dad struck her in the face, she sunk back down into her chair. One hand planted on the side of her face where Dad had struck. Like she couldn't believe he'd done such a thing. I could.

It was no wonder Mom was so frail, and dainty. She'd been turned into exactly what Dad wanted her to be over the years. I shuddered. That's the last thing I wanted. All I could do was shake my head. Dad had always been a monster. But I couldn't say anything either.

"You need someone of importance...." he muttered under his breath. "Not just some...some peasant who committed a petty crime years ago."

"Well....what about Synyra?" Max asked, a cocky smirk on his face. "You know, the princess who nearly wiped out this entire clan?"

That name sickened me. It was her fault that I nearly got killed. That Estelle, my oldest sister was torn apart by those dogs. And that Mom had miscarried her baby girl. The one she would name, Akira.

She was perfect for me. I'd gain the sort of fear and respect I needed. Not only was she the only female in the most powerful pack of the Neeyhahs, she was the princess of this place. Perfect.

"She's too much for David." Dad fired back. His voice echoing off the walls. I jumped. Too much for me? No. My heart sank, and I lowered my eyes to the floor. Now Dad thought of me as weak.

"B-but if anyone can avenge us it's David." Max said, putting a hand on my shoulder. He was taking my side now? That was the first time he'd ever done that. Max was Dad's favorite. All the best jobs were saved for him.

Dad pursed his lips and turned away. I felt I knew what was coming next. My stomach twisted in knots. His shoulders lifted, and he sighed.

"Not only would he have to deal with Synyra and the training she'd aquired over the years, Max. He'd have to deal with her older brother."

Jacob. My heart leapt into my throat. He had the power of fifty men. And the alpha of his pack. Jacob had all the right training in his twenty one years of living. And he was supposed to take the throne as the next king. I shuddered. What was I getting myself into.

"Uh...I-I can take him." said a voice that was not my own. It came out of my mouth but was not me. "Yeah. I'll have him dead within the hour I meet his little sister."

Dad spun on his heels. "Are you sure, David? Because I wont be scraping you off the walls."

I nodded. "I'm sure. I'll take him out before I take out the princess. So she has no protection."

"Then I suppose so-"

"Oh thank you." I interrupted. Unaware that Dad wasn't finished.

"But...." he continued. "If she happens to seduce you like other Neeyhah girls are capable of, I'll have your head mounted on the wall."

I looked over at Mom, who was still in shock that Dad had struck her. I shook my head. Why couldn't she just leave him? It was always her who recieved the most abuse. I came in second. And Max, he didn't have to deal with any of it. He was Dad's favorite. I grimaced. I couldn't wait until I could leave home.

I nodded. "You wont be dissapointed." I said, although I got a sick feeling. Like I was lying to my own father. "I'll take her and the entire clan out."

It didn't take long for me to approach the mass of towers and gates that made up the castle. Only a matter of hours. For once, the main entrance was unguarded. "Remember who you're looking for..." I muttered, stepping inside. My attention was mainly to what was next to me than what was in front of me.

I glanced forward and was met with a sword. My eyes grew wide. I'm dead, I thought.

"Vampire!" Jacob hissed. "What's you're business here?" His eyes were filled with rage. Just like I'd pictured.

"I-I was....I was...."

"Spit it out!"

He looked down at the symbol on my arm. "Monyorta!" he shouted, throwing me to the side. I landed face-first, and I rolled over. Only to be met with the sword. Closer now. I felt like I wanted to run away. Forget this job was ever mine. Forget about my family. Forget about it all.

"W-wait!" I said, throwing my hands up in defence. Jacob narrowed his eyes, and drew the sword back a little. "I-I changed. I promise."

"That's what they all say!" he fired back, gaining the attention of some citizens.

"No, I really mean it. I heard you were looking for a...escort for your sister-"

"You think I'd trust a Monyorta with my sister?!" Jacob pushed the sword even further. To where the silver was touching my neck. I swallowed hard.

"Well, how often are your 'pack' members with her?" I asked. Jacob sighed.

"Never." he grumbled.

"Exactly. I-I'm from the most powerful vampire clan. I can protect her better than those dogs-er um....friends of yours." I said. I was partially lying. Even if I was only going to protect her, I couldn't protect her better than 15 men who had the power of multiple men.

Jacob looked up for a moment. Thinking. "Well, I suppose....you didn't fight back when I attacked." he put his sword back into the scabbard. "What's your name, then?"

I swallowed hard. He wasn't going to kill me? "David." I said, shaking his hand. "My name's David."

Jacob nodded. "Good. My sister comes in three days. I hope you're ready."