Chapter 6

*Sunday, September 13th, 1998*

Yesterday was great, getting to see family again. Even though it's been a short amount of time since we left, it was still nice seeing them again.

I was excited to come back though, and even more excited now. Today is Niall's birthday and I couldn't be more happy to see Niall. Yesterday when we were in Dublin my mum and I picked out a brand new football for him. It was a super good football and I knew he would love it. The one he has now is old and torn up, and the one we got him was decorated and everything.

I'm going to give it to him as a present, that I know he will love.

I have already gotten dressed and my mum put my hair in a bun. I'm wearing a Ireland t-shirt along with some black athletic shorts. I'm ready to play football with Niall today, and I'm even going to try my hardest so Niall will enjoy it more.

****

It was now almost noon and I wanted to start heading over to Niall's house but mum insisted that she must watch the end of her show. It was a dumb show that I didn't get and it was annoying how she would always watch it. I said I would be glad to walk over by myself, but she thinks I'm to little to be walking across the street by myself.

"I'm five now mum.....I'm old enough." I mentally tell myself.

Niall walked over here by himself, and I'm even older than him!

After about what seemed to be forever, her show was finally over and we began to leave to go to Niall's.

I remembered to grab Niall's present. Dad helped me wrap it, so it was kinda obvious that it some kind of ball because wrapped rounded, but I'm hoping he won't notice.

We began walking over to Niall's, but mum stopped me right before we crossed the street.

"What?" I said confused.

"Well since your five now, and assuming that you and Niall's friendship will last," she smiled, "your going to have to learn to cross the street by yourself."

I smiled at her and looked both ways, I grabbed her hand and led her across the street. We safely made it over and I was now confident and felt like I could do anything.

My mum was a good mum, always teaching me wrong and right, and always teaching me to be respectful. She always would bring everyday life for me into a new world of teaching. Everything we did she would always make sure I learned something from it, and that's what I loved most about her. I wish one day I'll grow up and be just like her.

We walked up to Niall's front door, and I rang the door bell. From outside I could hear loud footstep rapidly thumping. I could tell Niall was running down the stairs.

Before I knew it the door swung open and revealed Niall dressed like a football player, he even had the black paint across his cheeks. I laughed at his appearance, while he let us in.

"Happy Birthday Niall," he mom said while patting his head.

"Thank you," he said politely back.

Niall's mum appeared soon after we arrived and our mums greeted each other.

"Happy Birthday Niall," I smiled while handing him the circle shaped present.

"What's this?" He asked while taking it out of my hands.

"It's your birthday present silly." I laughed.

"Why?" He asked almost confused. "I didn't get you anything." He slightly frowned.

"It's your birthday, and you didn't need to get me anything. You've been teaching me how to play football, that's good enough." I laughed.

He smiled and I motioned him to open his present. His and my mums attention were now on Niall while he opened it carefully. His eyes got bright and his smile grew. When he unwrapped the football he was in a pure state of joy.

"Oh my goodness!" He shouted. "No way!"

"Do you like it?" I asked knowing the answer.

"Ha no! I love it!" He shouted.

He gave me the biggest hug ever and then continued to examine the ball. I felt a build up of pride in knowing that I picked that out by myself. I mean mum and dad had to pay, but I picked it out all by myself, and he loved it.

***

Watching Niall fantasias over his present I got him filled me with joy. He was so happy and just full of energy. After he opened it we immediately went outside while our parents talked inside. I let him "test" it out a few times before we actually played, because he always says he's better when he warms up.

"Ready to play?" He smiled while walking over to me.

I was laying in the shade while he "warmed up".

"You sure you don't wanna warm up first?" He asks.

"Nah, I'm to good for "warming up"," I smiled while standing up.

I was taller than Niall by about 3 inches, but it never seemed to bother me. Usually when people are shorter than me I tend to think of them as weak and annoying. Maybe that's because of Clarie. I don't know? But Niall definitely isn't weak nor annoying in any way.

We started the way he taught me. Niall and I facing each other with the ball in between us. I didn't know if this was the right way to play, but I trusted Niall and let him teach me this way.

"Ready to lose?" I teased him.

"You keep talking smarty pants," he smirked at me. "Ready on 3! 1.....2....3.." he shouted.

He both sprung towards the ball. He kicked it first sending it right past me to my left.

Niall was left handed and it bothered me, cause he would always be the opposite of me. It was weird how he kicked with his left. When I would try to kick with my left it would barely even go anywhere cause I kick with my right all the time.

He ran towards the ball, I ran after him, but he was much faster than me. When he reached the ball he kicked it around with his feet, before sprinting after it. Instead of trying to get it away from him, I watched him. I watched how he kicked the ball with the inside of his foot, I watched how focused he was, how his hair bounced around in sync with his body. I watched him kick it into the goal, and the smile on his face was priceless.

"Gonna have to try harder than that Ari," he smiled.

"Ari?" I questioned.

No one has every called me Ari.

"That's gonna be your your nickname if you don't step it up." He laughed.

"What is Arielle to hard for you to say?" I teased.

"No but I'm just gonna call you Ari," he smiled. "It's your new nickname."

I laughed thinking that was completely dumb and silly. Everyone has always called me Arielle, never anything else.

He set the ball back in between us. We played for what seemed to be hours. We were sweating from the heat, and the sun was going down. Our parents were still inside. They brought us out water and snacks once to keep us energized.

The day did come to an end, and we left Niall's house around 5pm. It was getting dark, and I couldn't believe I was over there for so long. Claire and I never hung out that long ever, only once when she slept over at my house.

I really liked Niall, I really like how he's energetic and always happy just like me. His family is nice like him, and our parents seem to get alone really well. I really do think that one day Niall will become a famous football player. And I'll be the lucky one, I'll get to watch him grow and become that.